FTP software - what is the software of choice for large websites?!

saz1958

I like NFTP as it works in both windows and os/2...
I was stuck on SmartFtp for a long time, but it doesn't like large
sites, gets hung up when overwriting large files for no apparent reason.
The last update a few months ago made the problem worse.

I switched to Filezilla about a month or two ago, hasn't failed me yet.

marathon

I need some advice on FTP software.

Any intelligent suggestions?
What is the FTP-utility of choice for web designers?

Well I dunno about what web designers like, I doubt many web desigers
know much about FTP. Are you wanting a client or an FTP server?

I assume client -- One of the best for the MSFT Windoze and free is
FileZilla. It is better IMHO than many commercial applications.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla>

Jeff Thies

Toby said:
brucie wrote:

WS_FTP LE is great.

It's what I use. But I've noticed that every once in a while it
"forgets" a username or hostname or password.

Has anyone else had that problem?

I've got about 150 profiles in it...

Jeff

So is NcFTP.

brucie

in post: <
I recommend WS_FTP LE to our customers using Windows.

i've never used LE and your signup script wont let me become a customer.

is there some other way i can get you to ToS me off without having to
signup first?

brucie

in post: <
Makes me scream.

sounds like a drug problem. would you like to try some of mine?
the command line FTP works

back in the late 70's when i was just a little girl and a serious nerd
writing my own software i didn't have an issue with command line
goodies. now that i'm getting on a bit in years and my brain is starting
to calcify i just want cute pictures and sexy little buttons to press.

Shiperton Henethe

marathon said:
Well I dunno about what web designers like, I doubt many web desigers
know much about FTP. Are you wanting a client or an FTP server?

I assume client -- One of the best for the MSFT Windoze and free is
FileZilla. It is better IMHO than many commercial applications.

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla>

Sounds promising... However,

Can it reliably do multiple copies at once?
Can it recover from a temporary disconnect?
Can it "synchronise" selected directories &/or files?

Ship

Webcastmaker

Can it reliably do multiple copies at once?
Can it recover from a temporary disconnect?
Can it "synchronise" selected directories &/or files?

Well you get what you pay for. For the most part it is a great
program.

Jerry Stuckle

Webcastmaker said:
someone still uses os2?
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

I still keep it running on one workstation here. I use it mainly for SSH
and other internet stuff. And the SSH links are much more reliable than
those under Windows.

I also run it as my server/domain controller/firewall. Other than power
outages, only three unplanned outages in the last 12 years (other than
power failures beyond what the UPS can handle). This is on a 100Mhz
Pentium with 128Mb RAM (not using nearly all of it) and a 500Mb hard
disk...

OS/2 is much more stable than Windows. Too bad IBM couldn't figure out
how to market it.

--

To reply, delete the 'x' from my email
Jerry Stuckle,

marathon

Sounds promising... However,
Can it reliably do multiple copies at once?
Can it recover from a temporary disconnect?
Can it "synchronise" selected directories &/or files?

Why don't you just try it? Christ man, it's not like you're going to
lose any $.

To answer you simply, it does all of the above, as well as any GUI
client.

Of course ncftp is the best client, period, but it's command line.

Art Sackett

In alt.html Shiperton Henethe said:
What is the FTP-utility of choice for web designers?

Obviously, a lot of folks like WS. But you might just as well ask about
the bread of choice for sandwich makers. :)

brucie

in post: <
Obviously, a lot of folks like WS. But you might just as well ask about
the bread of choice for sandwich makers. :)

in oz that would have to be helgas bread. its very nice and is available
in a selection of flavors.

Art Sackett

In alt.html brucie said:
in oz that would have to be helgas bread. its very nice and is available
in a selection of flavors.

How can ya tell if the bread's any good under all that Vegemite?

The best answer to that question entitles the submitter to send me a
case of VB, so get your entries in early!

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Jeff Thies said:
It's what I use. But I've noticed that every once in a while it
"forgets" a username or hostname or password.

Has anyone else had that problem?

I've got about 150 profiles in it...

I've been using it for years and generally have about 50 profiles in there
at any given time. I've never seen that behavior. I do notice that
sometimes it "hangs" for no reason (not often)...and I have to shut all open
instances and start over. That only happens if I have more than one open.

--Tina