GDAL-1.7.1 : vcvarsall.bat missing

kBob

I am attempting to install the GDAL bindings (GDAL-1.7.1) on a
Windows XP Desktop with Python 2.6 and GDAL. During install, the
script finishes with "error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat".

What dependencies am I missing?

C:\PyPI\GDAL-1.7.1>c:\python26\python setup.py install
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
writing GDAL.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to GDAL.egg-info\top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to GDAL.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
reading manifest file 'GDAL.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
writing manifest file 'GDAL.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win32\egg
running install_lib
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'osgeo._gdal' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

Kelly Dean
Fort Collins, CO

Max Erickson

If it suits your needs, you can wire the OSGEO installation of GDAL
to a python.org python installation (rather than a bundled OSGEO
python interpreter, which is another option):

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

Setting the correct paths was enough to get the basic things I used
to work (but I haven't used it extensively).
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

I'll try my luck with Cygwin's ggc before I look into another
C/C++
compiler.

Kelly Dean
Fort Collins, CO

Giovanni Bajo packages a version of MinGW GCC for use with Python:

http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries

He does note on the page that the MinGW project isn't quite so sure
that GCC 4.x is ready for release.

Max

kBob

If it suits your needs, you can wire the OSGEO installation of GDAL
to a python.org python installation (rather than a bundled OSGEO
python interpreter, which is another option):

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

Setting the correct paths was enough to get the basic things I used
to work (but I haven't used it extensively).

Giovanni Bajo packages a version of MinGW GCC for use with Python:

http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries

He does note on the page that the MinGW project isn't quite so sure
that GCC 4.x is ready for release.

Max

Thanks again for the tips. Your suggestions are very helpful.

I was able to get the FWTools installed on the Windows Desktop. It
worked out very well. No issues with the GDAL included in this set of
binaries.

However, I am intrigued with the OSGeo Project, especially with the Qt
binaries included. After understanding GDAL, I'll have to build some
GUI applications to display the GeoTIFF, MrSID, and JPG2000. I was
planning to use Tkinter, but with Qt available from OSgeo4W, it will
give me an opportunity to explorer the GUI development offer by this
package.

Kelly Dean
Fort Collins, CO