Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way

blmblm

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[accuses me of incompetence, this time in the conducting my own
defense]

I think this is a misleading summary of what I actually wrote. Yes,
I *do* think that if your aim is to defend your reputation you're
going about it in the wrong way. I don't think pointing that out is
an accusation of incompetence, unless any suggestion that anything
you are doing is less than optimal is an accusation of incompetence.

[ snip ]
My model accounts for this if you permit people to have negative
credulousness -- what they hear influences them in the reverse
direction to what it claims. The effects still cancel out, because the
insults make them believe me to be a saint and my defense then brings
their opinion of me back down to approximately neutral. :)

Anti-bias bias is also not a problem, where it's assumed that people
lower their credence in self-elevating claims -- either a)
self-aggrandizing or b) other-denigrating to raise one's relative
ranking in some manner. These might lower their credence in this
situation, but the insults and the defenses would again be affected
equally.

To have the rather unlikely (and irrational) effect claimed, what would
be needed was to consider a class of people who consistently believe
insults but disbelieve defenses. In other words, they are biased to
believe the bad things they hear and disbelieve the good things, no
matter what. Those people are, however, going to think ill of me no
matter what I do so I may as well ignore them. Affecting their beliefs
in my favor is a lost cause.

I must be misunderstanding something here -- you seem to me to be
saying that people treat all positive claims the same (believe them
or disbelieve) and all negative claims the same. Do you really not
consider the source of a claim and its overall credibility in choosing
whether to believe it?
The details are none of your fucking beeswax, that's why. :p

Which is why I said, later in the post,

[ snip ]

blmblm

Bent said:
The shadow of the future is an effect that will tend to reduce the
viability of a tit-for-tat strategy in repeated games.

Blocking is different from tit-for-tat, which uses retaliation as a
deterrent rather than blocking to make the incoming attacks
ineffective.
There seems to
be something on it at
[snip url to file in evil proprietary format]

[ "evil proprietary format" = PDF ]
Got anything in a format my computer and I are *not* allergic to? ;)

Weren't you saying, in the long thread in comp.text.tex, something
about being able to view onscreen your LaTeX document and lshort.pdf
(the "Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX", which you seemed to
be saying positive things about) at the same time? Okay, that was
several months ago, and perhaps something has changed such that your
computer is now allergic to PDF.

blmblm

You misunderstand me (wilfully?)...

Not wilfully, no.

[ snip ]
Cute. I'm not claiming perfection or omniscience here. I'm just
disclaiming any responsibility for the deviations from same, since
they're not by choice and to the extent that they're practically
avoidable they are avoided.

Fine. It certainly sounded to me as if you *were* claiming
perfection, but apparently I was wrong.

It seems to me, though, that when someone points out a deviation
from perfection or omniscience, rather than arguing about whether
it's your fault it might make more sense just to add the new or
correction information to your total store of knowledge and get
on with things.

blmblm

Do not publicly contradict me.

The main point, that Oliver originally suggested "OK", is not in
dispute here. And *nothing* I say is to be disputed in a manner that
suggests fault on my part. Do I make myself clear?

He certainly endorsed it.

I can't be arsed to find out, but I have no reason to trust that
nothing was altered or taken out of context.

In particular, if it's being used to support a hostile claim about me,
and it was something that I said, then it was almost certainly
necessary to alter it for it to fit that purpose, and it certainly was
necessary to (at minimum) take it out of context or otherwise misuse it
in such a way that it seems to imply something completely different
from its actual intent.

See above. If it suggests something unflattering about me, then it
almost had to have been altered, and if not it *did* have to be taken
out of context, since the unflattering thing is false.

Good heavens.

I'm not snipping a word lest I be accused of quoting out of context.

If what you wrote above was not meant as irony or hyperbole ("do not
publicly contradict me" for example), then I will just say:

You win. You have convinced me that there is nothing to be gained
from further discussion.

Twisted

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[accuses me of incompetence, this time in the conducting my own
defense]

I think this is a misleading summary of what I actually wrote.

[Proceeds to make the exact same accusation again, merely phrasing it
differently]

Whatever.
unless any suggestion that anything
you are doing is less than optimal is an accusation of incompetence.

Now, perhaps, he's beginning to understand.
I must be misunderstanding something here -- you seem to me to be
saying that people treat all positive claims the same (believe them
or disbelieve) and all negative claims the same. Do you really not
consider the source of a claim and its overall credibility in choosing
whether to believe it?

I do, but I considered that. I considered a hypothetical person who
takes relatively self-promoting statements with a grain of salt,
whether they say good things about the speaker or bad things about
someone else (i.e. either "I'm better than him" or "He's worse than me"
and variations). Such a person would have reduced credence for the
things said by both sides here, but that just winds up canceling out.

If being insulted damages credibility, then since I've done more
defending than counterattacking I might have a slight handicap from
that. But there's nothing I can do about that, save attack my attackers
more to lower theirs.

If being insulting damages credibility, then that should give me a
slight advantage for the same reasons.
Which is why I said, later in the post,

Where I of course hadn't read it yet.

Twisted

Weren't you saying, in the long thread in comp.text.tex, something
about being able to view onscreen your LaTeX document and lshort.pdf
(the "Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX", which you seemed to
be saying positive things about) at the same time? Okay, that was
several months ago, and perhaps something has changed such that your
computer is now allergic to PDF.

PDFs from trusted sources are one thing. PDFs linked from usenet to
random websites are another, especially given the tendency of
accidentally clicking on a link to a PDF file to hang Firefox. (It
either stops responding -- all windows, all tabs -- until acrobat
starts, or it stops responding period, depending on the phase of the
moon.) If it's sufficiently important I'll download the file and launch
it externally, avoiding involving the browser in viewing the PDF at all
(only downloading it). That's enough hoop-jumping to not really care
much for random stuff being in that format.

Twisted

It seems to me, though, that when someone points out a deviation
from perfection or omniscience, rather than arguing about whether
it's your fault it might make more sense just to add the new or
correction information to your total store of knowledge and get
on with things.

But that doesn't happen much. More usually, someone points out
something that they *think* is a deviation and I'm forced to explain
why it's not; or someone accuses me of crap just to insult me in
public.

Obviously, any suggestion of failure or wrongdoing on my part that's
made in front of an audience mustn't be acquiesced to, or the audience
will start questioning my IQ, competence, or sanity. So in public I
must entrench and defend...

Tom Forsmo

Twisted said:
None of your beeswax.

the first country that comes to mind is; the US, right?

Somewhere with a current/recent tradition of castes or similar, where
some people are "more equal" or flat-out "superior" as a matter of
course. India comes to mind, or Japan, or somewhere like North Korea
(which you yourself seemed to suggest before) that's downright
regimented right now.

You don't pay attention, I said I was from europe.. Ill give some more
clues: west europe, or even better north-west europe, or best of all I
come from the 4th best democracy in the world (as per the Democracy
Index). Any english speaking countries on the list, which you say you
come from, are below that on the list, way below.

So you comment about where I come from and how my behaviour would mirror
that seems to be faulty at best, at worst.... well you know...

This is the pot calling the freshly-fallen snow black, nevermind the
kettle. :p

As I have said before I know what you want, and that you know.

Everything you write in one of these posts is about me, either directly
or obliquely, and nearly all of it is intentionally hostile.

I dont deny being hostile towards you, there is nothing in the principle
of "equality under the law" that requires me to be nice to you, thats a
different matter. I could, though, turn it around and say, I am behaving
equally to you, sort of an "eye for an eye". But thats not what equality
under the law is about.
You are
just trying to trick me into letting you slip some insults by under the
radar, but it isn't gonna wash.

No I am not I dont care if you register them or not, I am just having
fun saying them.

I'm sure that's not what you meant before, where you were obviously
intending to suggest that because I'm allegedly incompetent I should be
treated like shit.

Here is a perfect example of you misunderstanding again, I clarified
what I am trying to say and what I have been trying to say in most of my
posts the last couple of days and you still dont want to believe it,
that can only mean you are clinically paranoid.
Really. Now you're suddenly claiming that even if your allegations
*were* true, the treatment I've received was unjustified? (And since it
isn't? I guess not just unjustified but outrageous?)

I am not saying you are incompetent! I am saying I dont have to treat
you in the same way as I treat my friends, because I dont like you.
And it would be the same at work, I would have treated you
professionally, but on a personal level I would have avoided you
completely because I dont like you. "equality under the law" does not
cover this nor is it intended to.
No, that's "over here", dimbulb.

the problem though, is that you wont say where "over here" is
so I cant know what judicial system you have. But in any case I really
hope you dont have several judicial systems, that would just ****
everything up. Its much better with one, combined, system. Unless you
want a system like the one in the US, which is designed to allow people
to play cat and mouse with the system to force your will on others.

This isn't an inquisition; this is a newsgroup. Your particular
questions are off-topic in that newsgroup.

None of your comments are very on-topic either, was that the pot calling
the kettle black again?
You will go away now.

I will go away when it pleases me, and as I said that would be when you
answer my question.

Tom Forsmo

Twisted said:
Tom said:
Twisted said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
Um. No

Do not publicly contradict me.

You [bleep bleep!] And you claim that everybody is equal under the
law? You are behaving exactly the opposite yourself. What you do is bend
reality to fit your need...

This is completely bogus reasoning. Of course, since everybody is
equal, publicly and bluntly contradicting any of them is rude, not just
me.

Only people who think they are better than others respond like that.
The rest of us would simply say something like "if you have no better
argument than that, I suppose you have nothing of value to say at all
any more..."

Further on, it is not rude to contradict another person, its just
democracy. a person may say what ever he wants.. of course some
statements are not allowed or protected from under the law, but other
than that....

what you care about is that nobody says anything negative about you in
public (thats sort of what dictators demand :) ), that makes you shallow...

Twisted

Tom Forsmo wrote:
[snip insulting drivel, none of it true]
I dont deny being hostile towards you

Then take it to email or to /dev/null!
I am not saying you are incompetent! I am saying I dont have to treat
you in the same way as I treat my friends, because I dont like you.

There are rules of politeness though. If you don't like me you either
keep it to yourself or take it to email.
And it would be the same at work, I would have treated you
professionally, but on a personal level I would have avoided you
completely because I dont like you. "equality under the law" does not
cover this nor is it intended to.

Then why *aren't* you "avoiding me completely", and instead slandering
me in the presence of an audience?
the problem though, is that you wont say where "over here" is
so

you have that much better a chance to track me down and harass me
offline as well? Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.
I cant know what judicial system you have. But in any case I really
hope you dont have several judicial systems, that would just ****
everything up. Its much better with one, combined, system. Unless you
want a system like the one in the US, which is designed to allow people
to play cat and mouse with the system to force your will on others.

Ah, so-called jurisdiction shopping. You could say that applies to the
whole world too, such as when spammers or hosts of slanderous Web sites
or posters of slanderous news postings lurk at offshore servers where
they can strike with relative impunity, or large corporations run their
factories where labor laws are lax, their accounting in tax havens, ...

Twisted

Tom said:
Only people who think they are better than others respond like that.

Where do you get that from, given that the statement I made above about
rudeness is symmetrical and treats everybody the same?
Further on, it is not rude to contradict another person, its just
democracy. a person may say what ever he wants.. of course some
statements are not allowed or protected from under the law, but other
than that....

But other than that, some of them are just plain rude, even when they
don't cross the line into slander.

*You* are rude.

[insult deleted]

Good-bye.

blmblm

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[accuses me of incompetence, this time in the conducting my own
defense]

I think this is a misleading summary of what I actually wrote.

[Proceeds to make the exact same accusation again, merely phrasing it
differently]

Whatever.
unless any suggestion that anything
you are doing is less than optimal is an accusation of incompetence.

Now, perhaps, he's beginning to understand.

Yes, I believe I am.

It didn't occur to me that anyone would interpret "you might not
be doing this in the best way" to mean "you are incompetent" -- to
me these are quite distinct ranges in a spectrum that ranges from
total inability to perfection, and I'm not sure I had previously
encountered anyone who thinks they're the same. If this is really
what you think, it explains much about this thread, and I think it
means that I should now simply say:

Whatever.

[ snip ]

(Yeah, I did say in another post that I was convinced that there was
nothing to be gained from further discussion. Sometimes I don't stay
convinced, I guess. "Little to be gained", perhaps.)

blmblm

[accuses me of incompetence, this time in the conducting my own
defense]

I think this is a misleading summary of what I actually wrote.

[Proceeds to make the exact same accusation again, merely phrasing it
differently]

Whatever.
unless any suggestion that anything
you are doing is less than optimal is an accusation of incompetence.

Now, perhaps, he's beginning to understand.

Yes, I believe I am.

It didn't occur to me that anyone would interpret "you might not
be doing this in the best way" to mean "you are incompetent" -- to
me these are quite distinct ranges in a spectrum that ranges from
total inability to perfection, and I'm not sure I had previously
encountered anyone who thinks they're the same.

Oops, should have added here: It also wouldn't have occurred to me
that there was anything particularly insulting about suggesting that
someone occupies a position in the middle of the spectrum.
If this is really
what you think, it explains much about this thread, and I think it
means that I should now simply say:

Whatever.

[ snip ]

(Yeah, I did say in another post that I was convinced that there was
nothing to be gained from further discussion. Sometimes I don't stay
convinced, I guess. "Little to be gained", perhaps.)

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Do not publicly contradict me.

The main point, that Oliver originally suggested "OK", is not in
dispute here. And *nothing* I say is to be disputed in a manner that
suggests fault on my part. Do I make myself clear?

Your request perfectly clear, but it will be ignored (by me, and
probably by others).
I can't be arsed to find out, but I have no reason to trust that
nothing was altered or taken out of context.

In particular, if it's being used to support a hostile claim about me,
and it was something that I said, then it was almost certainly
necessary to alter it for it to fit that purpose, and it certainly was
necessary to (at minimum) take it out of context or otherwise misuse it
in such a way that it seems to imply something completely different
from its actual intent.

See above. If it suggests something unflattering about me, then it
almost had to have been altered, and if not it *did* have to be taken
out of context, since the unflattering thing is false.

I didn't alter it. I provided a link to the Google page showing the
original message, thus proving it was unaltered. You can do a word-for-word
check. Here it is again:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/5bb8ccd2d3a98131
<quote>
It's not your "obvious lack of google-fu" that they're pouncing
on, but your "obvious lack of effort". The problem wasn't that you put in
the wrong Google query. The problem is that you didn't even bother to try
googling at all. And the even bigger problem is that you automatically
assumed that Google would not return useful results without even trying it.
And an even bigger problem than that was when people told you googling for
"ant" *would* return a useful result, you argued with them, despite that
there existed a trivial, easy to repeat experiment to demonstrate that you
were wrong: namely to try actually googling for "ant".

So really, your google-fu level had nothing to do with why you got
pounced on, IMHO.
</quote>

Notice that I provided the link,
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/5bb8ccd2d3a98131
, so you can verify that the quotation is completely unaltered, and if you
feel there might be missing context, you can go to
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/5bb8ccd2d3a98131
and see what the context was.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Because I'm pretty sure that this has come up before, and some of the
things I said (as well as the entire first half of this thread)
evidently didn't penetrate. :p

I wanted you to note this to realize that you do a lot of insulting in
this thread, despite requesting that others not insult you. And furthermore,
I wanted you to realize that I'm receiving negligeable, if not zero, damage
from your insults.
I understand it perfectly, but it's not within my means, and even if it
were I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

I doubt you understand it perfectly, because you seem to associate it
with the concept of deluding yourself, or pretending to be something you're
not.
You, on the other hand, don't seem to understand *that*, although I
said it a time or two before.

I understand that you're claiming it's beyond your means. I just don't
believe it.
It does look that way. :p I suspect there are key facts that aren't
penetrating (or that you irrationally refuse to believe might be true?)
that prevent anything else from being communicated successfully. That
real damage can and often does result from online mudslinging campaigns
is one of those facts, and arguably the most critical.

I don't think I ever said that damage cannot happen. Once again, you've
misunderstood what I am saying. I believe that damage *has* happened to you,
because you haven't learned to shrug off these insults yet. Once you learn
how, the damage will be negligeable, if not zero.
So far, it doesn't seem to be working. :p

I don't know about that... I'm seeing some progress in you. The move
from "damage 100% of the time" to "usually damaging" is a good start. The
"don't ever contradict me" and "I'm never wrong" that recently popped up is
going to be an annoying obstacle to overcome, though.
It's only important to address the same subset that sees the insults.
And that's easy -- followup to the insults, as 99% of the time someone
who reads a post also reads any particular immediate descendant of it.

As I've said before, I think people are not getting the message you're
trying to convey in your posts. Caricuturized, you're essentially writing in
your post "I'm not an idiot", and people are reading "Twisted is an idiot".
So your solution may not be achieiving the goals you desire.
Neither do you. Or my attackers, for that matter. It's guesswork there.
I've chosen to model them as people of varying credulousness and
comprehension ability, wherein the effect of a message (insult,
rebuttal, whatever) is proportional to the former and has a random,
zero-mean gaussian distributed component added dependent upon the
latter. It's a fairly simple model. I suppose individual idiosyncrasies
will largely average out and can be modeled as part of that gaussian
random component. Where there are facts (e.g. technical stuff about
Java) their opinions should converge on the truth; where there are just
opinions (e.g. about people) they should end up largely unmoved if
nothing major goes by without a counter, modulo those idiosyncrasies of
course.

I suggest your model is flawed. Most scientists will reject a model if
it fails to have accurate predictive power, and this seems to be the case
with your model. It predicts people will understand and agree with your
posts, but this is simply not the case.
You do invent some strange, topsy-turvy "what-if" scenarios. Anyone who
tends to believe the opposite of what anyone tells them is probably
seriously in need of professional help. I doubt there are many. In any
event, the model treats them too, if one permits credulousness to be
negative. Everything still cancels out to leave approximately zero even
for them, under that model.

Explain to me how people with "negative credulousness" will "cancel out"
and become "zero" in your model.
If you're suggesting that there are people who believe anything
negative but the opposite of anything positive (minus the square?
whatever) then I expect those also to be rare, and obviously nothing
can convince them of anything good at least in an area devoid of facts
rather than just opinions, so they might as well be ignored. Nothing
can be done about them anyway. Same with anyone with a strong
preconceived belief that will not be budged (e.g. the attackers
themselves).

YES! :) :) :) Very good. I'm amazed that you've made this giant leap in
progress.

[...]
I suppose I wouldn't apologize because I wouldn't say it in the first
place unless it actually were true. It would have to be based on
evidence and not just a vague opinion though.

Okay, so I won't apologize either.

[...]
Prevent the damage entirely and it's moot -- if you only care about no
damage occurring, then just prevent it and let morons try (and fail) to
cause it. On the other hand, if that isn't feasible you have to do
something to deter the behavior instead.

Good. I think we just have to work on your perception on what is
feasible and what isn't.
I've *been* trying to minimize the damage. You've been trying to
convince me not to, so it will just accumulate! (Apparently in the
delusional belief that there is no damage, even after I've told you a
thousand times that there frequently are tangible negative
consequences.)

Okay. There's a step I eventually want you to take which is to realize
that the perception of whether something is damaging or not is exactly that:
a perception, and so it can be changed (by changing yourself). However, I
think there are other steps to take before you're ready for that one.

Consider this: It actually *helps* your credibility if you're willing to
admit you're wrong when you actually do believe you're wrong. I.e. if you
make some claim, and later you find out you're wrong, it's a good idea to
say "Oops, sorry, I was wrong about that." Most reasonable people won't
think you're an idiot for admitting that you were wrong about something --
in fact, for a lot of people, this will cause them to have more respect for
you.

But of course, this only works if you actually do believe you've been
wrong about something. If you happen to believe that you're never wrong,
this strategy won't work. So I'd like you to do some introspective analysis
and see if maybe you might have been wrong about something, at least once in
your life.
It's not lasting. It melts in spring, or even the next day depending on
the weather. It doesn't leave you with a traumatic memory for life or
anything either, unless it causes a severe accident on the road or
something.

Apparently, every definition I can find of "traumatic" says that it
should be used only to refer to physical injury, and so according to
"dictionary English", insults are not traumatic either. Snow *does* leave
most people with a memory for life. As I said earlier, I've never met anyone
who "forgot" what snow is like.

"Results from fracture in other areas of the bony hook than in pars
interarticularis."
www.condell.org/libertyville/neurosurgery/neurology-glossary.php

"Relating to a physical wound or injury. Traumatic spinal cord injury refers
to damage to the spinal cord that has occurred as a result of an injury (eg,
following a car accident) rather than a medical condition or complication."
www.spinalnet.co.uk/EEndCom/GBCON/homepage.nsf/0/42B1C87E54BB265A00256C590045902F
A single snowflake doesn't do any sort of damage. It takes large
amounts to have consequence.

On the other hand, there is no way you can liken this current ...
whatever the **** it is to anything less than a goddam blizzard.

I'm not trying to liken it to this. We're dropping the analogies and
metaphors, remember? I'm refering to a literal snowflake. I am demonstrating
to you that there exists scenarios where (4) is the optimal solution.

[...]
Hostage-takers again -- suppose a guy threatens to smash a ten thousand
dollar item and demands a thousand bucks. You can give him the
thousand, and he goes away with it, or you can attempt to subdue and
arrest him, which risks the ten thousand. Even if the *usual* result is
ten thousand bucks' damage, if nobody who does this actually ends up
with a thousand bucks and they all instead end up with jail time,
there'll be a lot fewer incidents than if they all get a free grand
just for trying this. Ultimately, you lose $10,000 on a few rare
occasions instead of $1000 on frequent occasions. And after a few years
of this, you may have lost $100,000 if your policy is to try to
apprehend, and millions otherwise.

You do the math for yourself, and see if I'm not right!

Funny. I'd just not leave a $10'000 item lying around where people can
walk up to and smash it. But I thought we were dropping the analogies.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

[ snip ]

In other words (well, these are my words, not Oliver's, but if he
disagrees I imagine he will speak up):

The person doing the most damage to the Usenet persona "Twisted" in
this thread is "Twisted" himself/herself. I believe others have made
comments along similar lines. Of course we may be the small minority,
and possibly the lurkers all support your perception of what's going
on here. I can't think of any way to get information about that, but
if there are people who support you, why isn't one of them speaking up
in your defense? (Maybe someone will. That would be interesting too.)

Your paraphrasing is accurate and compatible with my message.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
PDFs from trusted sources are one thing. PDFs linked from usenet to
random websites are another, especially given the tendency of
accidentally clicking on a link to a PDF file to hang Firefox. (It
either stops responding -- all windows, all tabs -- until acrobat
starts, or it stops responding period, depending on the phase of the
moon.) If it's sufficiently important I'll download the file and launch
it externally, avoiding involving the browser in viewing the PDF at all
(only downloading it). That's enough hoop-jumping to not really care
much for random stuff being in that format.

I thought it'd be "important enough" for you. You asked what "shadow of
the future" meant, and someone gave you a link to a paper discussing it.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Obviously, any suggestion of failure or wrongdoing on my part that's
made in front of an audience mustn't be acquiesced to, or the audience
will start questioning my IQ, competence, or sanity. So in public I
must entrench and defend...

Even when the suggestions of failure or wrongdoing on your part are
accurate?

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Tom said:
Twisted said:
Why should the rest of this newsgroup conform to your way, as
opposed to
you conforming to this newsgroups way?

This newsgroup doesn't have a "way";

yes it does, its got faqs, netiquettes and so on[snip]

This newsgroup doesn't have a faq that I've seen reposted recently. You
must be thinking of a different one. In any event, it's not at all
relevant here, except to the extent that your violently hostile conduct
is undoubtedly seriously off-charter.

These a FAQs either for cljp specifically, or for Java newsgroups in
general:

http://www.ibiblio.org/javafaq/javafaq.html
http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/computer-lang.java.help.minifaq/msg00000.html
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/java/newsgroups.html
etc.

I don't see anything in the charter about not being allowed to inform
other posters of the existence of cljp FAQs, so I feel your "off-charter"
accusation is unwarranted.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Why don't they realize that when their
behavior is clearly annoying, paining, or whatever their victim that
they must be doing something wrong and stop?

Indeed. When all the participants in a thread asks that person to stop,
you'd think they'd get the message. But people don't always do the "right"
thing.

[...]
No, they have to clean their ears. I am as clear and unambiguous as
possible, which means any further improvement in communication must
come from improving the comprehension skills of the other guy.

You're falling into the trap of trying to change others again.

- Oliver