Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way

Oliver Wong

You've mentioned elsewhere in the thread that your emotional responses
aren't completely "normal" (and I couldn't agree more about "normal"
not being necessarily something to aim for :) ). Maybe that's your
"trick". Whatever it is, this thread seems to me to be providing
an excellent opportunity to find out how well it works. :)?

I've been involved in flamewars much worst than this one, and I did lose
my cool once: I stated that someone was a liar, as opposed to suggesting
that they may have been lying, or that it appeared to me that they were
lying. I don't think they noticed, but to me, there's a big difference
(former implies a fact, latter an opinion).

If you really want to challenge your anger management skills, lurk in
comp.os.linux.advocacy until someone makes the claim that it's impossible to
use a Microsoft OS for more than a month without seeing a blue screen (and
it WILL happen eventually -- there are trolls lurking there too), and post a
reply saying that's not true, or that your experience differs. You'll get
into a pretty wild "debate". However, you'd probably be contributing to the
provokation of a flamewar, which may or may not be against your ethics.
For now, I'm
just trying to convince [ Twisted ? ]

I intentionally left the object of "convince" ambiguous. Anyone who reads my
posts may be convinced by them (e.g. it seems you are one of the potential
convincees).
I'm not so sure that people can really control the initial flare of
anger in response to perceived insults. I also am no expert, but
my impression is that emotions aren't easily subjected to conscious
control.

I think experiencing emotions is like biting your fingernails: Initially
done subconciously, but you can learn to consciously stop. I actually
believe that you can't control your own thoughts (and thus people do not
have free will), but that's an entirely different topic: In as much as you
can control your own thoughts, you can control your emotions. Like biting
your nails, sometimes you'll get angry and only later notice that you're
angry. Once you notice this, (disregarding the free will issue), it is
entirely within your power to choose to stop being angry, just like it is
entirely within your power to choose to stop biting your nails. The only
issue is that sometimes people *don't* want to stop being angry.

Why would anyone not want to stop being angry? I don't know. But it
happens. It has happened to me, even. It's more apparent with sadness,
though: Sometimes you're sad, and rather than trying to actually fix the
problem that is making you sad, you want to worsen it, to allow you to feel
sorry for yourself. When someone points out to you what you're doing, it's a
real slap in the face, and simultaneously, a wake up call (or it was for me,
when it happened, anyway): you realize you can continue wallowing in your
own self-pity, or you can pick yourself up, discard your sadness, and
actively work towards solving your problems. Since then, I've come to
believe that this can be done for anger as well (and perhaps for the other
emotions, but I haven't really tried.)

So one day, when I got angry, I remembered that I had wanted to test if
you could really stop being angry, if you simply wanted to. My intellectual
curiosity overpowered my desire to "stay angry", and I managed to stop
myself from being angry. And in my calmer state, I realized how silly it was
to *want* to be angry. And since then, I just stopped getting angry (or
rather, now I get angry very rarely, and when I do, I can usually catch
myself and stop it.)

*I* can do it, so I know it's possible. However, I'm only *assuming*
everyone else can do it too. I know others can do it (there are so many
anecdotes of people remaining calm under any and all situations, that there
is a very high probability of the existance at least one other person able
to control their emotions in this manner), but maybe they're all autistic
too.
What I think they can train themselves to do is manage the anger.
That's more difficult to do in a real-time exchange, but in Usenet,
one can usually just set the infuriating post aside for some period
of time while one goes off and does whatever one does to relieve
stress (which might be anything from meditation to taking out one's
frustrations on something that doesn't fight back and won't mind,
such as a pillow), and then come back and try to answer calmly.

I won't say that it's quick and easy to train oneself in this way,
or that one won't sometimes forget and respond in anger, but --
yeah well, you probably get the idea. Posts made in anger are
rarely a good idea.

Right, making decisions in general when angry (or just generally
emotional) usually yields poorer outcome than making decision unemotionally,
IMHO. One strategy is, as you say, to avoid making any decisions (don't
commit those decisions to writing in the form of usenet posts!) while angry.
Another is to minimize the time during which you are angry (ideally, to
zero). There's no reason why both strategies couldn't be used in tandem! =)
"Lead by example" maybe?

I'm not sure people would be able to figure out what I'm doing
internally, just by observing my external actions.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Not that any of this is at all relevant, since this isn't a courtroom.

I think you (Twisted) are the one who first compared how things should
be in this newsgroup to how courtrooms behave. You mentioned you watched too
many law dramas or something like that, as an aside while doing so.

- Oliver

Twisted

Yes, I believe I am.

It didn't occur to me that anyone would interpret "you might not
be doing this in the best way" to mean "you are incompetent"

No, I interpret things like "you're going about it the wrong way!",
"why the hell did you do THAT?!", and "wouldn't it be MUCH easier...?"
to be accusations of such a nature. These make much stronger value
judgments than the mild "there may be an easier way".

Twisted

Oliver said:
Your request perfectly clear, but it will be ignored (by me, and
probably by others).

In other words, you insist on reserving the "right" to insult me
without provocation? How nice of you. :p
I didn't alter it. I provided a link to the Google page showing the
original message, thus proving it was unaltered. You can do a word-for-word
check. Here it is again:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/5bb8ccd2d3a98131
<quote>
It's not your "obvious lack of google-fu" that they're pouncing
on, but your [insult deleted]

Quit reiterating that accusation.

Twisted

Oliver said:
I wanted you to note this to realize that you do a lot of insulting in
this thread, despite requesting that others not insult you.

I only do so once I've been attacked unambiguously, and mainly out of
sheer frustration.
I doubt you understand it perfectly, because you seem to associate it
with the concept of deluding yourself, or pretending to be something you're
not.

It has to be one of those things or else genuine self-alteration. The
latter is not a capability I have. (I think I mentioned my aversion to
"do-it-yourself brain surgery" once before? But regardless, I lack the
tools, and like any normal human being was also born with a severely
limited ability to "hack myself" software-wise.)
I understand that you're claiming it's beyond your means. I just don't
believe it.

Well that's strange, since you should think that I would know better
what tools I possess or don't possess than you would. Just as I expect
you know better what tools *you* possess or don't possess than I do.
Skills and knowledge for their use likewise.

Besides, even if I had the tools, skills, and knowledge, I wouldn't.
Not on your say-so, anyway. I certainly would not self-modify in a
manner suggested under coercive circumstances (e.g. "make yourself
believe me to be a god and worship me or I'll tarnish your reputation
in public!" or "modify yourself to value this penny stock absurdly or
I'll blow your frickin' brains out" or anything of the sort).
I don't think I ever said that damage cannot happen. Once again, you've
misunderstood what I am saying. I believe that damage *has* happened to you,
because you haven't learned to shrug off these insults yet. Once you learn
how, the damage will be negligeable, if not zero.

This is the final proof that you are NOT understanding me. I am not
TALKING about the insults "hurting my feelings" or some stupid thing
like that, where growing a thick skin fixes the problem. I am TALKING
about this kind of mudslinging, directed at me, convincing *other
people* to treat me poorly. To some extent a thick skin would help with
being treated poorly by my attackers' converts too, but past a certain
point I'd be a thick-skinned but very lonely person with no job or
social prospects, and that's damage no thickness of skin would
prevent.

Don't argue with me on this, because I've seen people turn away from
someone (and, once or twice, me) in response to this kind of
namecalling campaign, and past a certain point you'd have to be as
thick-skinned and dumb as a rock not to be harmed by it.

[snips what seems to be a progress report on his attempts to manipulate
me, and calls some of my more admirable traits "problems to overcome"]

What kind of wacko game are you playing here?
As I've said before, I think people are not getting the message you're
trying to convey in your posts. [snip improbable theory with no evidence]

I'm communicating my message as clearly as I possibly can with my
(considerable) knowledge and skill with the English language. The rest
is up to the fates, so there's no point haranguing me about it.
I suggest your model [snip insults]
It predicts people will understand and agree with your posts, but this is simply not the
case.

You conveniently ignored the fact that there is no evidence from which
to conclude what you are claiming. The silent majority of lurkers have,
by definition, not spoken. Those who have are those who already have
entrenched opinions, so these opinions not changing is unsurprising.
Explain to me how people with "negative credulousness" will "cancel out"
and become "zero" in your model.

People who believe the opposite of the declarative content of what they
are reading, instead of disbelieving it (not credulous) or believing it
(regular credulousness). Instead of thinking I'm evil after one insult,
then reverting to neutral after my response tells my side of the story,
they think I'm some sort of saint after one insult, then revert to
neutral. I expect these to be sufficiently rare (it certainly sounds
like they'd have to exhibit grossly abnormal reasoning) that leaving
them thinking abnormally good of me will leave vastly more thinking
worse of me. In fact the empirical evidence is that this is the case,
since previous mudslinging incidents I've witnessed did (sometimes even
despite some efforts to combat the effect) produce an overall trend
towards reduced opinion of the target, on average, rather than
improved.
YES! :) :) :) Very good. I'm amazed that you've made this giant leap in
progress.

I don't appreciate this "teacher to stupid student" tone, as I've told
you a thousand times before. I'm not here to "make progress" at
whatever it is you're trying to do, either. I'm here to explain to you
what *I* know, and why you are wrong. And you again have missed the
point. Anyone who always believes the negative of the absolute value of
whatever they hear is a lost cause and I may as well ignore them
completely. As soon as I was insulted, that subset of the population
hated me and nothing I do will fix that, obviously. I may as well
concern myself solely with the remainder, especially those who are
actually somewhat rational.

This applies to anyone whose behavior is to always believe the good and
the reverse of the bad too. Whatever happens, their opinion of me can
only improve, and I don't need to do anything to ensure it.
Good. I think we just have to work on your perception on what is
feasible and what isn't.

No, "we" do not have to "work on" anything. What exactly do you think
this is? It seems you think that you're a teacher and I'm a backward
student of some sort. That is false. You and I are random people in a
usenet group, one pseudonymous and the other possibly not, engaged in
some kind of discussion. You seem to have some beliefs that I'm "wrong"
and need "correcting". Unfortunately you have expressed them in the
presence of third parties, which necessitates that I publicly correct
those beliefs. Which is what I am doing, as well
as (since you don't seem quite as rabidly irrationally hostile as some
others) hoping to actually convince you of the truth of what I am
saying.

However, it is becoming apparent now that your opinion is just as
entrenched as the others, and you're simply slightly smarter than the
rest of the drooling pack, enough so as to use sly and sneaky methods
in preference to foaming at the mouth to try to either a) convince your
audience of what a moron I allegedly am or b) trick me in some way,
apparently into dropping my guard or, if possible, into self-modifying
in a self-destructive way.

Those efforts are doomed to failure. I will not permit you to tell only
your side of the story; I will tell mine as well and the audience, such
that still follows this thread, will have to make up their own damn
minds rather than just take your word for it. I know you don't like
this, not having the last word and not having your opinion stand
uncompeted-with by any dissenting voices, but, as they say, tough.
Furthermore, even had I the capability for self-modification you seem
to believe I have (one of numerous evidence-free beliefs you hold, I
note), I have strong built-in safeguards in place against being
manipulated in any way into developing self-hostile beliefs that would
lead to self-destruction (through depression, suicide, turning to
drugs, apathy, or any such effect) or into developing irrational,
empirically ungrounded beliefs that would make me more susceptible to
similar or worse behavior (e.g. as a particularly notorious example any
attempt to get me to believe, without evidence, that I'll get to sleep
with 72 virgins if I just hijack this plane and crash it into a
national monument). Basically, you can't convince me to dislike myself,
and you can't convince me of unfalsifiable BS or of actually-false BS,
including but not limited to any weird theory under which my best
course of action would be to let you attack me with impunity, or would
be more actively self-destructive or even criminal, or anything else
like that.

If everyone on the planet had such strong mental defenses against
brainwashing, I know of at least two tall buildings that would probably
still be standing, and a lot of crusades, inquisitions, witch-hunts,
and what-have-you that would never have occurred...
Okay. There's a step I eventually want you to take which is to realize
that the perception of whether something is damaging or not is exactly that:
a perception[snip rest]

I'm not here to take "steps" like some student. Stop suggesting
otherwise.

The perception of whether something is damaging or not is, like all
perceptions, better when grounded in reality than when completely
hallucinatory. Numbing myself to pain will not
mean I don't lose the use of my arm if something cuts it off, and it
may mean that I don't sense the arm is being damaged in time to take
action to preserve it.

Likewise, numbing myself to pain will not mean I don't lose a friend or
whoever if someone's mudslinging campaign convinces them to leave me,
and it may mean that I don't sense the danger in time to prevent this.

In either case, depending on how fast the damage is done nothing I do
might save the arm or the friendship, but if I do nothing, then the
loss becomes certain.
Consider this: It actually *helps* your credibility if you're willing to
admit you're wrong when you actually do believe you're wrong.

And when I don't believe I am wrong? "Admitting" it in public then
would be damaging, since I'm not being honest, and the "admission"
itself can be proven wrong. Actually being wrong would also be
damaging, but not if inconsiderate pricks don't call public attention
to it and not if, given that they do, I'm able to make the problem go
away somehow and leave things in doubt.

Of course, this becomes a problem only if someone *publicly* accuses me
of wrongdoing. Then there's no way to avoid credibility loss, save by
mounting an effective defense, wherever the truth may lie.

It's similar to a hypothetical man put on trial for something that
shouldn't be a crime, such as music downloading or a nonaddictive drug.
The only chance to avoid being wrongfully punished for an action that
harmed no-one else is to mount an effective defense and get a
not-guilty verdict, whether or not he actually did the deed.

This just indicates that a) you don't publicly accuse someone of
something unless you can prove it's true and b) you don't publicly
accuse someone of something harmless for which it isn't fair to expose
them to public scorn or worse.
I.e. if you
make some claim, and later you find out you're wrong, it's a good idea to
say "Oops, sorry, I was wrong about that." Most reasonable people won't
think you're an idiot for admitting that you were wrong about something

No, they'll just think I'm an idiot for having been wrong in the first
place. Small comfort. Fortunately, I'm very rarely wrong, and tend to
qualify anything I say of a factually-decidable nature for which I
don't have the evidence to support a confident assertion anyway. Even
the accusations of being wrong are, by and large, from either people
whose *opinion*, not factually decidable, differs from mine, or people
accusing me of something just because they personally don't like me or
got annoyed and something of mine was the proximate cause (whether or
not I was just the messenger, or they were getting annoyed by something
that wasn't unreasonable behavior, doesn't seem to matter to some
people; people get up on the wrong side of the bed and snap at me for
something innocuous, and unfortunately some of them do it in the
presence of third parties...)

[Snip another, this time fairly blatant, attempt to manipulate me into
potentially developing self-hostile beliefs]
Apparently, every definition I can find of "traumatic" says that it
should be used only to refer to physical injury, and so according to
"dictionary English", insults are not traumatic either.

Those definitions are broken. People generally regard as traumatic a
variety of non-physically-injurious events, including but not limited
to:
* Observation of war horrors (which alone may induce PTSD; the 'T'
stands for "Traumatic");
* Rape without real injury;
* Methods of torture that are not physically damaging (but do induce
pain); and
* Serious damage to one's personal or professional life, including but
not limited to job loss, loss of close friends or companions, actual
deaths of same, and loss of treasured property.
Snow *does* leave most people with a memory for life.

But not a seriously painful one, barring a bad skiing accident,
ice-related car accident, or similar.
"Results from fracture in other areas of the bony hook than in pars
interarticularis."
www.condell.org/libertyville/neurosurgery/neurology-glossary.php

"Relating to a physical wound or injury. Traumatic spinal cord injury refers
to damage to the spinal cord that has occurred as a result of an injury (eg,
following a car accident) rather than a medical condition or complication."

These are definitions for medically-specialized usages, not colloquial
usage, of the word.
I'm not trying to liken it to this. We're dropping the analogies and
metaphors, remember? I'm refering to a literal snowflake. I am demonstrating
to you that there exists scenarios where (4) is the optimal solution.

And I'm telling you that this one isn't one of them, that no case us in
which the expected damage is over a certain magnitude, and that no case
is in which the cause is the malicious or irresponsible conduct of a
person. The latter requires either prevention of the action achieving
its goal, prevention of the damage, or deterrence. The current
situation falls into both of these classes: the antagonists are people,
not snow clouds, and they are behaving largely maliciously, and
meanwhile the damage can easily reach a magnitude far in excess of
anything that can reasonably be tolerated, judging my multiple previous
incidents in which things comparable to this caused eventually
intolerable harm. (Harm that no amount of being thick-skinned would
protect against, by the way.)
Funny. I'd just not leave a $10'000 item lying around where people can
walk up to and smash it. But I thought we were dropping the analogies.

That was later, and we are, since you plainly don't comprehend them. In
this instance, the $10,000 item is my reputation, and the only way to
not "leave it lying around where people can walk up to and smash it" is
to become a recluse. Which is a "solution" we've been over and over a
thousand goddamn times.

Twisted

Oliver said:
I thought it'd be "important enough" for you. You asked what "shadow of
the future" meant, and someone gave you a link to a paper discussing it.

I'm talking about documentation I'd use frequently that isn't available
in a better quality in another format. That is clearly not the case
here. All I really want is a quick, plain-English precis, not a deep
scholarly article *anyway*. Certainly it can be provided in plain text
or HTML. Certainly is has, somewhere, but nobody seems to want to say
where?

Twisted

Oliver Wong wrote:
[suggests something insulting]

Sorry, no can do. I must not permit people to implant any negative
belief about me into an audience, to the extent that I can feasibly
prevent them or limit the extent of their success. Whether or not such
attacks are "accurate" is not even important in that case; the mere
fact that they constitute insults necessitates my response. Of course,
they're generally *not* accurate...

Twisted

Oliver said:

I said I hadn't seen one reposted recently. I didn't claim that there
wasn't one. I did imply that I thought there probably was.
I don't see anything in the charter about not being allowed to inform
other posters of the existence of cljp FAQs, so I feel your "off-charter"
accusation is unwarranted.

I was referring to the hostile and flaming behavior I've witnessed here
recently, not to posting FAQ links.

Twisted

Oliver said:
Indeed. When all the participants in a thread asks that person to stop,
you'd think they'd get the message. But people don't always do the "right"
thing.

Well, Attardi at least seems to have. Although what he did was start up
a *new* attack thread purely to attack me and start posting in that,
which isn't quite what I'd consider ideal. :p
You're falling into the trap of trying to change others again.

No, I am not, and stop making strongly definitive statements like that
without any kind of evidence. What I actually did was explain that I
had done all I could to write clearly, and that the rest was then up to
the reader. A very different thing from what you imply and seem to
believe.

Twisted

Oliver said:
I think you (Twisted) are the one who first compared how things should
be in this newsgroup to how courtrooms behave.

No. I compared how things *seem* to be in this *thread* to one. It's
quite evident that the purpose of this newsgroup is emphatically *not*
to put people on trial, certainly not for the petty "offenses" of which
I've been accused (without evidence)...and that the purpose of this
newsgroup not being such is an inconvenience to certain people, some of
whom therefore simply ignore that fact...

Bent C Dalager

The silent majority of lurkers have,
by definition, not spoken.

The silent majority of lurkers stopped reading this thread many, many
days ago. What they are seeing now (those that haven't killfiled the
thread altogether) is a lingering flame-thread that has your name on a
great many of the posts. This in itself is probably doing more damage
to your reputation than what any harassers that may remain in this
thread are capable of.

Cheers
Bent D

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Oliver Wong wrote:
[suggests something insulting]

Sorry, no can do. I must not permit people to implant any negative
belief about me into an audience, to the extent that I can feasibly
prevent them or limit the extent of their success. Whether or not such
attacks are "accurate" is not even important in that case; the mere
fact that they constitute insults necessitates my response. Of course,
they're generally *not* accurate...

You are amazing.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
No. I compared how things *seem* to be in this *thread* to one. It's
quite evident that the purpose of this newsgroup is emphatically *not*
to put people on trial, certainly not for the petty "offenses" of which
I've been accused (without evidence)...and that the purpose of this
newsgroup not being such is an inconvenience to certain people, some of
whom therefore simply ignore that fact...

This post makes it sound like you want this thread to proceed the same way
courtrooms proceed.

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/a03ff169cd136bc8

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
No, I am not, and stop making strongly definitive statements like that
without any kind of evidence. What I actually did was explain that I
had done all I could to write clearly, and that the rest was then up to
the reader. A very different thing from what you imply and seem to
believe.

If you have a problem (people not understanding you), and you think the
solution to the problem involves other people doing specific things
(cleaning their ears), then you are falling into the trap that I am
referring to.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
I'm talking about documentation I'd use frequently that isn't available
in a better quality in another format. That is clearly not the case
here. All I really want is a quick, plain-English precis, not a deep
scholarly article *anyway*. Certainly it can be provided in plain text
or HTML. Certainly is has, somewhere, but nobody seems to want to say
where?

Andrew told you where.

- Oliver

Lew

Oliver said:
I actually
believe that you can't control your own thoughts (and thus people do not
have free will), but that's an entirely different topic:

I am entirely satisfied with the self-delusion of free will. Beyond that I
soul-slip into solipsism. (Or megalomania, but that's an entirely different
topic.)

- Lew

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
I FINALLY found a spot on the 'net where
someone else says something I keep saying regarding patronizing
something I keep saying regarding searching being easy when you know
the answer but not so often when you only know the question:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/How_dumb_can_GNU_Linux_users_be/#c4028847

This is not a new argument; it's one I've made before as well. It turns
out there's this piece of software called "ndiswrapper" which will "solve
all your Linux networking problems", for example. How the heck am I supposed
to know to google for "ndiswrapper" given my question "Why isn't my network
working under Linux?" The keyword "ndiswrapper" does not appear in the top 5
google results for "Linux Networking":

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch03_:_Linux_Networking
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworking.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linag2/book/index.html

But that's not what I'm complaining about in your behaviour with regards
to being able to find out about Ant, for example. What I'm complaining about
is that people explicitly told you to google for "Ant", and you argued that
it wouldn't/shouldn't work without even trying it.

[...]
Anyway, the tendency of a subset of knowledgeable people to snap at
n00bs is a problem far more serious than n00bs not knowing stuff,
especially since the latter is only addressable by educating them, and
trying to do so in a way that puts them off even trying, discourages
them from entering some field entirely, or forces them onto an
entrenched defensive is doomed to failure. Of course, it depends on
whether you consider the problem to be "n00bs not knowing stuff" or
"n00bs not knowing stuff AND POSTING TO MY NEWSGROUP!!"; the latter is
"solved" by driving them all away, but the latter is not the real
problem. In fact, the real problem is people with the "MY NEWSGROUP!!"
proprietary attitude and anyone being hostile or condescending to
n00bs.

Except I don't think it's as big of a problem as you claim it is. IMHO,
there's only 1 person in cljp who is a bit too snappy to newbies, but he
*does* provide valuable information in his snappy posts. The other regulars
(and they number in the high tens, if no low hundreds) are all very
reasonable in their responses. Instead, I think it is you who is overly
sensitive, perceiving insults where there are none intended.
Given the above, I think it behooves us all to call the "smarmy
know-it-all" subset on their attitude and tone whenever it shows, far
from criticizing the lone voice to (thus far) do so for getting uppity!
(And see above for evidence that I may not, in fact, *be* a "lone
voice" anymore. Now there are at least two...)

Except I think, on the long term, that one snappy poster makes more
valuable contributions to this newsgroup than you do.
If that behavior drives away the lifeblood of progress, the n00bs who
must someday replace them in big enough numbers "or else", then it has
crossed the line.

Right, but luckily it hasn't gone that far yet.
Same if it forces n00bs to entrench a (possibly)
misguided approach or position just to save face, since then their
efforts to educate are actually actively hindering that cause.

Well... in this case, I think it'd be more valuable to teach the n00b to
worry so much about saving face. Easier to change that one n00b than to
change meanie everyone that n00b will ever encounter the rest of his/her
life, right?

[...]
In c.l.j.p we have a somewhat different situation: people posting
questions here are ipso facto programmers,

Actually, this isn't always true...
with a presumed
greater-than-layperson knowledge of software development and related
concepts.

... and I won't automatically presume that the poster has ever written a
single line of code before just because they posted here: it's the content
of their post which serve as the basis of my guesses to their skills.
Occasionally, we'll get posts here asking why a particular applet won't
work, and the OP is an end-user that just wants to get it to work, and is
not interested in learning the Java programming language at all.

- Oliver

Twisted

Bent said:
The silent majority of lurkers stopped reading this thread many, many
days ago. What they are seeing now (those that haven't killfiled the
thread altogether) is a lingering flame-thread that has your name on a
great many of the posts. This in itself is probably doing more damage
to your reputation than what any harassers that may remain in this
thread are capable of.

It would be foolish of them to assume my participation necessarily
means I'm doing much actual flaming.

Twisted

Oliver said:
This post makes it sound like you want this thread to proceed the same way
courtrooms proceed.

[snip]

Well, it *is* true that one of the things that courtroom proceedings
eventually do is end ...