Good design sites?

Frogleg

Anyone know of sites with info on good design? I don't mean stuff like
"don't use lots of colors and flashing animated graphics, " In fact,
there is all too much "don't" advice out there, and not enough "do."
What I'm looking for is suggestions for the creatively-challanged. I
just did a site I don't like much, but can't figure out ways to
improve it.

rf

Frogleg said:
Anyone know of sites with info on good design? I don't mean stuff like
"don't use lots of colors and flashing animated graphics, " In fact,
there is all too much "don't" advice out there, and not enough "do."
What I'm looking for is suggestions for the creatively-challanged. I
just did a site I don't like much, but can't figure out ways to
improve it.

Then why don't you show it to us?

SpaceGirl

Frogleg said:
Anyone know of sites with info on good design? I don't mean stuff like
"don't use lots of colors and flashing animated graphics, " In fact,
there is all too much "don't" advice out there, and not enough "do."
What I'm looking for is suggestions for the creatively-challanged. I
just did a site I don't like much, but can't figure out ways to
improve it.

A lot of it is common sense. I cant think of any sites off hand, but
like the other poster suggested, this group is probably a good place to
start - post a link and get some crit.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl said:
but like the other poster suggested,

What? How droll! I get derogitised as simply "the other poster"?

Just as if I were "the other bloke over there standing at the bar, you know,
the one you are not looking at"?

Hmmm. I may have to lift my game :-(

SpaceGirl

rf said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

What? How droll! I get derogitised as simply "the other poster"?

Just as if I were "the other bloke over there standing at the bar, you know,
the one you are not looking at"?

Hmmm. I may have to lift my game :-(

Chill out... :) I'm using a new news client and I couldn't see your post
when I was replying. Talk about sensitive! :p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Frogleg

A lot of it is common sense. I cant think of any sites off hand, but
like the other poster suggested, this group is probably a good place to
start - post a link and get some crit.

I already did and got nothing but "it's awful" and "don't use tables"
both here and in alt.html.critique. This isn't what I'm after. I'd
like to see some general principles on good *artistic/creative* design
techniques.

rf

Chill out... :) I'm using a new news client and I couldn't see your post
when I was replying.

Ah, that's OK then <smiles winningly/>

Hmmm. How did you know there was "another post" if you couldn't see the
other post? Just asking, you know sort of out of, er, interest.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
Ah, that's OK then <smiles winningly/>

Hmmm. How did you know there was "another post" if you couldn't see the
other post? Just asking, you know sort of out of, er, interest.

Er... well I read your post and then a few minutes later went back to
reply to the OP. Couldn't see your post so couldn't quote. But I knew I
agreed.

Okay?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

Frogleg wrote:
SpaceGirl said:
I already did and got nothing but "it's awful" and "don't use tables"

both here and in alt.html.critique.

Yep, looked over there as well.

URL again?
This isn't what I'm after. I'd
like to see some general principles on good *artistic/creative* design
techniques.

KISS.

Write the content, as if you were writing it in notepad.

Add some images if you think those images help your content. Pictures of
your product are admissable. Gratutious flying kangaroos are not. (*)

Style the lot with CSS.

Now, what was that about tables? Did you have some tabular data to present?
If so then use a table.

(*) Most roos don't actually fly all the time, they usually rest:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.gif

Matthias Gutfeldt

Frogleg said:
I already did and got nothing but "it's awful" and "don't use tables"
both here and in alt.html.critique. This isn't what I'm after. I'd
like to see some general principles on good *artistic/creative* design
techniques.

Graphic design, or webdesign?

Matthias

Leslie

Nope. I don't want pages of advice with no graphics. I want *lots* of
graphics and suggestions of what works and what doesn't. Graphically.
To look at.

What *works* and what *doesn't work* depends a great deal on the
content of your site and what appeals to your prospective visitors.

Here are a few of my "do's":
1. Keep the design clean and simple.
2. Make sure all text is legible - sufficient contrast between font
color and background color to not cause strain for anyone.
3. Never set a fixed font size, let your visitor's choice of browser
settings make that choice.
4. Use graphics appropriate to the content of the site. IMO use of
more than one animated graphics is highly annoying. Keep graphic
sizes as small as possible to facilitate faster loading of your page.
5. Do everything possible to make sure your pages validate.
6. Design a page that's pleasing to you. You'll *never* please
everyone. One of my personal sites, online for 7 years, has generated
comments as diverse as "Your site is great!" to "Your site really
sucks!"
7. Never consider a web page, or site, complete. Tinker with it as
necessary. You'll never achieve perfection, but it's fun trying!

Leslie

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Whitecrest

Anyone know of sites with info on good design? I don't mean stuff like
"don't use lots of colors and flashing animated graphics, " In fact,
there is all too much "don't" advice out there, and not enough "do."
What I'm looking for is suggestions for the creatively-challanged. I
just did a site I don't like much, but can't figure out ways to
improve it.

Do you want site design, or do you want Site development. The two
are totally different, and usually mutually exclusive for one person.