Good Sites - who's got some examples?

Nicolai P. Zwar

Zak said:
"Neither was wrong" is tripe.

No, it's not. It's quite true.
In this case right and wrong is clear as day
and night.

This is obviously not so, as there is disagreement about it.
Choosing not to believe that is your perogative, but doesn't
make it less a matter of right and wrong.

Ah, yes, Mr. Taliban, that's the fundamentalist zealot speaking,
completely engrossed in his own ideology, which is the one true way of
the righteous, unable to see beyond the brim of your doctrines, which
are divine laws, whereas those who disagree with the one and only truth
-- which happens to always coincide with your very own point of view --
waving the bible of your religion (e.g. the w3.org specifications), and
casting out the demons from hell which are only out there to destroy the
world, er, web, or at least the way you in your mighty lofty and
undiluted mind have decided the web should be. No, thanks, go this way
alone, buddy. Fundamentalism of all kind is highly suspect to me.
The uninformed will support the use o Flash _without_ showing the
slightest indication that they understand exactly what it is about Flash
that is bad for the web.

Yet what you fail to show the slightest indication of, Zak, is that you
possess the ability to understand that there are some people who _do_
understand why _you_ think that Flash is bad for the web, but who simply
disagree with you.
You agreed with Whitecrest's statement that site owner's choices to not
support people without Flash was a choice and that despite the
consequences thereof, it was neither right nor wrong.

Yes, and I still do. So far, you have yet to put forth some arguments
that would make me reconsider this.
If it had no
ramifactions outside of the people taking the decision, I would not have
taken issue with you, but it obviously does.

Could be, could be. A butterfly in China... well, you know.
If you believe that forcing
clients to use Flash

The keyword here is "if", Zak, because I neither believe in forcing
anybody to use Flash, nor have I ever posted anything that could be
interpreted that way. It is you who seems to want to force others not to
use Flash. Who is the one who wants to force people?
does not have ramifactions beyond those who decree it
to be that way, then you are definitely in a dream world.

Every choice made by anybody has ramifications. So? And you think that
justifies forcing everybody else to make only "choices" that you
yourself would personally approve of? Who made you the ruler of the
world, er, web?
It is patently clear that choosing to exclude people from your web site
due to their ability to display some arbitrary proprietary format (except
in the most carefully-chosen examples) _is_ wrong, no ifs and or buts.

That is crap. It is patently clear that I can chose to exclude or
include people from my very own website in whatever way I see fit, no
ifs or buts, and certainly not rights or wrongs. If I want to program a
site that only works in Opera 6.0 with Flash installed and that leaves
everybody else locked out, I may be eccentric, but it's my and nobody
else's business, and it's my damn right to do so. Whether it would be
prudent to do such a thing is another story, but it's certainly not a
"right" or "wrong" question. I don't know about you, but I'm not living
under a dictatorship.
Tim
Berners-Lee should be the one to dictate what is right or wrong about the
web,

Nobody should be the one to dictate what is right or wrong about the
web, but I guess telling that to a fundamentalist is like asking the
head of El-Qaida if we can't just "all get along".
and he stated clearly that it should be client-independent.

If he wants client-independent websites he should program client
independent websites.
You
cannot force a client to have Flash installed

I cannot and I don't want to. I don't want to force anybody to install
anything, in case you haven't noticed.
and still be client
independent.

You can program a site that's perfectly usable without Flash, yet give
the site some extra audio-visual information using Flash.
Therefore it is simply _wrong_,

It's not wrong at all. It's not a moral choice, which is something you
should really grasp. It's an ideological fallacy to expect that every
webpage in the world must be fully and in all aspects accessible and
readable for everybody and with every browser ever made. There is
nothing at all wrong about catering to special interests or limit your
audience.
and furthermore has
ramifications far beyond those who took the decision to force a
proprietary format on anonymous 3rd parties.

Look who's talking. You are the one who wants to force your ideology on
others, you are the one who makes statements such as "Tim Berners-Lee
should be the one to dictate what is right or wrong". Who is forcing
anything onto you? I sure don't. In fact, I don't give a rat's ass
whether you have Flash installed or not or whether you would ever visit
a page I have programmed that uses Flash or not. That's your choice. I
make mine.

Kris

That is an odd feature, if the developers put it there. Why do you think
it is there?

To turn it on if needed. If you don't, it is your choice. Quite
easy to understand, you know...[/QUOTE]

I think your sarcasm detection system may be broken.

Toby A Inkster

Dylan said:
Isofarro said:
You can't be serious! 201 Created is far superior! ;-)

I tend to think that 402 is the best[1], especially if it works in my
favour :eek:)

I've always had a soft spot for 204. One has to admire its pointlessness.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
What drugs are you on exactly? For your information, those games could be
duplicated in other languages (other than HTML of course - that is
nonsensical since HTML isn't a programming language at all).
You win the prize for missing the point. You just reinforced
what he said.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
Present stats to prove this, and not Macromedia sponsored or derived ones
please.
You would be surprised how many times I have had different
people give me links to Flash based sites. These were all
sites intended solely to have fun with. There are quite a
few of them on the web.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
It isn't. A si pointed out in a previous email, Tim Berners-Lee is
definitely one to decide what is right or wrong when it comes to mattrers
of the web, and he stated that the web must be client-independent.

He gets to suggest what he would like the web to be.

He has no powers of enforcement to see that anyone
does a web site according to what he wants.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
No big deal for Subaru you might think, but my site gets over 10000
page views a day. So by denying access to this one non-Flash using person,
Subaru have denied a much larger audience potential exposure to their
information via a site that acquired it's info directly from Subaru's
site.
I am an auto enthusiast and I have never used your web site.

I really like the Subaru web site design and was able to find out
everything that I needed to know.

Thanks to their info, I am ready to go buy one of their cars.

They are interested in selling cars. Not making your data
gathering job easier. I let the dealer sales guys know that
I found the info that I needed on their web site and decided
to stop by and check out their cars.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
Funny, that would be exactly the motivation for disabling
Javascipt........
I found all of the information that I needed on their web site.
You just made a decision that denied you access to the info.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
If you swallow that tripe, fine. If you are willing to learn & understand
the dynamics of this discussion and the whole theory behind what most of
the informed participants are trying to say, then stick around and do so.
Otherwise drift off into your little dream world where choices and
decisions have no ramifications, no effect outside of those who make
them.
This stuff is just zinging over the top of your head, isn't it.

The site designer made a choice regarding accessibility
and the user made a decision regarding whether to take
additional steps to gain access to some info.

Both were free to do this and must live with the results.

Mark Jones

Zak McGregor said:
The uninformed will support the use o Flash _without_ showing the
slightest indication that they understand exactly what it is about Flash
that is bad for the web.
The web is about delivering content via any means
desired by the site owner. The owner gets to decide
what to present and how to present it. Whether they
gain or lose from their decisions, it is still their choice
to decide how to build their site.

I can design an accessible web site or one using
Flash and JavaScript. It is my choice whether I want
anyone to view the site if they do not have Flash or
JS available.

Zak McGregor

Ok, so duplicate them in other languages, then you have made another
choice. It is all about choices you know.

No problem with that statement. Just make sure your choices are
justifiable.
What can I not do in Flash that I can do in HTML?

You can't have full text indexing with semantic weighting of phrases for
instance. You can't be standards-compliant. You can't present content in
a text-only accessible format. Need more?

Ciao

Zak

Zak McGregor

Zac, my point is that the web is a big place. Some people like the
interactive part of the web. Why is it wrong for these people to have a
place on the web just because you personally don like the technology
they use to display their content?

For the record, I have no problem with games implemented in Flash. I *do*
have major problems with information presented in Flash though, since
html is infintesimally better suited to that job.
It is NOT wrong! It is up to the company to decide how they will best
be represented by their web page. Not all web pages need the fluff. But
some do.

Why is it so hard for you to see that?

We were talking in general here, until you brought up some specific
instance where Flash may be better suited to the task. However, when the
task at hand is dissemination of information, there can be no question
that html is better suited to that.

Ciao

Zak

Zak McGregor

The Web grew up. You still want it the way it was.

No, the web didn't grow up. A whole flock of web designers who think
their job is more about the design than the web embraced a format that is
wholly inadequate and the company distributing said software naturally
presented its humble offering as a replacement for standard accessible
html. The dangers posed need no elaboration - the very reasons the web
work are under threat here.

Ciao

Zak

Zak McGregor

Why do you have to make something personal after you loose the argument?
Does it make you feel any better?

I didn't lose anything here mate, it's just blatantly obvious that you
don't Get It[TM].

Ciao

Zak