Google Chrome Browser - Very Early Observations

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwdjrxyz, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    As of 7 pm CDT, Sept 2, in the US, the download for Chrome still was
    not noted on the main Google page. However I found it at
    http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html and download was fast. All hell
    will likely break out when it is announced on the main Google page,
    and download might be slow. What you first download is just a short
    installer file. When you double click it, you are connected to the web
    and download and install the main files. There were no problems
    downloading and installing on a Windows P OS. It may be a while before
    downloads are available for other OSs.

    The desktop view is clean and mean. Navigation is a bit different than
    in most other browsers and will take a little time to fully
    appreciate. I have most of the major media players installed on my
    computer. Chrome played Real, and WMP players without additional
    setup. SWF would not play and you had to download a plugin for it.
    However easy to follow instructions were given for this, and the
    plugin download was fast.

    Apparently Chrome can handle true xhtml served properly as application/
    xhtml+xml. View such a page at http://www.cwdjr.info/test/formtestX.xhtml
    which will not show up on browsers such as IE7 that do not support
    true xhtml served properly. However when you view the source code of
    this page on Chrome, the Doctype for html 4.01 strict is displayed
    nearly blanked out and the code starts with the html tag. This is all
    very strange, and I have no idea what is going on. All other browser
    that support this xhtml page show the xhtml Doctype and it is not
    nearly blanked out.

    Anyway, most of you likely will want to download Chrome to check it
    out at least. It is quite different in many ways from other popular
    browsers.

    cwdjrxyz, Sep 3, 2008

  2. I wonder if the reason you were able to access it through the EULA page
    is that they had gotten everything but the main page ready, to be posted
    earlier today on schedule, and then one of the developers burst and
    cried out, "Oh, no, massive bug! Don't let the public download it till I
    fix it!"

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008

  3. cwdjrxyz

    Rick Guest

    --

    Rick
    Fargo, ND

    Remember the USS Liberty
    http://www.ussliberty.org/

    Rick, Sep 3, 2008
  4. cwdjrxyz

    +mrcakey Guest

    On page 8, that jigsaw piece thing that's being told off for using too much
    memory. Remind anyone of anything?!!!

    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Sep 3, 2008
  5. cwdjrxyz

    +mrcakey Guest

    They blather on about how efficient their JS VM is, but www.bbc.co.uk, which
    is quite JS heavy, is very much more clunky in Chrome than in FF3.

    Generally quite impressed with all they're saying, but I guess it'll take a
    while to see what it can really do.

    The other thing is a vague sense of uneasiness over them controlling search
    AND potentially going down Microsoft's embrace, extend, extinguish model.
    They're already talking about things they've done that they hope may become
    standards.

    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Sep 3, 2008
  6. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    The Chrome browser was offered for a short time on the Google main
    page. Now they have moved to more > still more and marked as new.

    Here are a few properties I detected:

    appCodeName=Mozilla
    appMinorVersion=undefined
    appName=Netscape
    appVersion=5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13
    (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13
    userAgent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/
    525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

    Just look at the appVersion and userAgent. They make the browser
    appear as a bit of a Frankenstein monster made of bits and pieces of
    other browsers and applications as well as new Google code. At least
    it should be easy enough to spot when a Chrome browser visits your
    server, unless the very long userAgent gets truncated.

    cwdjrxyz, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Well, yeah, they finally put it up.

    So I just used it for my morning browse through the newspaper, opening
    up tabs for all the section front pages I keep in a bookmark folder, and
    it went as smoothly as it ever has in Firefox.

    One of the menu options, under Developer, is the Task Manager, which
    leads to about:memory. Fiddling around with other guesses at about:
    options I found that about:stats leads to a large set of runtime
    counters and timers prefaced with the warning, "Shhh! This page is
    secret!" so naturally I thought I'd tell you all about it.

    Given that it's version 0.2.something I can only assume that such
    detailed options as cookie management are yet to come.

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 3, 2008
  8. cwdjrxyz

    ddg_linux Guest

    Thanks for the about:stats page within chrome. Not sure how I am
    going to use this information exactly but
    if you do.. I would love to hear some suggestions.

    Cheers

    ddg_linux, Sep 3, 2008