Google's new Chrome browser

Roedy Green

Has anyone managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
how well Java behaves?

CGeek Wannabe

Has anyone managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
how well Java behaves?
Looks like windows only. I'll wait for it to be available on Linux.

steve

Has anyone  managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
how well Java behaves?

Couldn't get it to work. Seems like there's no Java plug in, and the
current Java installer obviously doesn't know about it. Tried to copy
the safari, and Mozilla plug ins into the chrome plugin directory and
the plug in seemed to crash.

Hopefully, someone will fill this hole soon.

JSH

Has anyone  managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
how well Java behaves?

Yup. Easy as pie, using it now. Only thing is that the letters here
are very tiny so need to figure out how to make them bigger.

It IS fast. Just need to get bigger letters here...

James

Roedy Green

Need to install Java 1.6_10 and it works!

most important problems:

There are three things missing:
1. home button
2. stop button

Chrome reports Java Web Start as not present (see javascript on
http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html)

Chrome does not run Java Web Start apps (*.jnlp) seamlessly. You must
download then run.

Chrome runs signed Java apps without confirmation, even ones with
self-signed certificates

You must use beta JDK 1.6.0_10. This has been reported already..

Stefan Rybacki

Roedy said:
most important problems:

There are three things missing:
1. home button
2. stop button

Over here I do have a home button as well as a view source button. Stop works by
pressing ESC
Chrome reports Java Web Start as not present (see javascript on
http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html)

Chrome does not run Java Web Start apps (*.jnlp) seamlessly. You must
download then run.

works like expected over here. I just need to allow downloading jnlp file.

Roedy Green

It IS fast. Just need to get bigger letters here...

in Fonts & languages I configured 16 point Constantia, Arial and 13
but BitStream Vera Sans Mono.

Tom Anderson

Yup. Easy as pie, using it now. Only thing is that the letters here
are very tiny so need to figure out how to make them bigger.

Well, duh. How do you think they made Chrome go so fast? It's lightweight
- because the characters are smaller than in regular browsers!

Sure, you can make them bigger, but expect the performance to evaporate.

Now, if only we could get web page authors to use smaller letters in the
first place, then we could slash download times too ...

tom

Roedy Green

Well, duh. How do you think they made Chrome go so fast? It's lightweight
- because the characters are smaller than in regular browsers!

Sure, you can make them bigger, but expect the performance to evaporate.

Now, if only we could get web page authors to use smaller letters in the
first place, then we could slash download times too ...
:)

Roedy Green

Also there seem to be security holes in it like that Carpet Bomb that
Safari has meanwhile fixed though due to Chrome still using older
version of that WebKit is still vulnerable to people executing arbitrary
code with just some user-click.

There is a comic book that talks about the design. It looks
promising, how they go for isolation and sandboxing each JavaScript.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

It will be a while before that design compensates for its immaturity.

Chrome is aimed at a casual user, a few buttons and options as
possible to avoid overwhelm. Not even any skins.

I discovered you can get a home button. You have to configure it on in
options.

It does not support client SSL authentication, but it does support SSL
and EVSSL secure websites.

RedGrittyBrick

Martin said:
1) The EULA, part of which reduces to the equivalent of
"All your bases are belong to us".

That should of course be "All your base are belong to us." ;-)

Bummer though.

Chris Riesbeck

Christian said:
I must admit from all what I heard I will refrain from using this
browser ever.

The browser seems to send constantly data to google. There should be
something about this in the EULA as well.

Does it do that if you refuse the installation option for collecting
usage info?

Chris Riesbeck

Stefan said:
Over here I do have a home button as well as a view source button. Stop
works by pressing ESC

Both View Source (control-shift-U) and a DOM Inspector are under the
[Control document] | Developer menu. The DOM inspector is inside the
Javascript console.

Roedy Green

I tested with an applet signed with a real certificate and it asked for
permission as it does in Firefox.

Maybe it is behaving BETTER than Opera. The Applets I tested were my
own. Maybe it recognises my cert as automatically valid.

Andreas Leitgeb

Roedy Green said:
Maybe it is behaving BETTER than Opera. The Applets I tested were my
own. Maybe it recognises my cert as automatically valid.

Or, perhaps you've registered your own certificate on your machine
somewhere and Chrome found it there...

I'll wait for a Linux version, before I try it myself.