    Roedy Green Guest

    Has anyone managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    how well Java behaves?

    Roedy Green, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Looks like windows only. I'll wait for it to be available on Linux.

    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    steve Guest

    Couldn't get it to work. Seems like there's no Java plug in, and the
    current Java installer obviously doesn't know about it. Tried to copy
    the safari, and Mozilla plug ins into the chrome plugin directory and
    the plug in seemed to crash.

    Hopefully, someone will fill this hole soon.

    steve, Sep 2, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    steve Guest

    steve, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    JSH Guest

    Yup. Easy as pie, using it now. Only thing is that the letters here
    are very tiny so need to figure out how to make them bigger.

    It IS fast. Just need to get bigger letters here...

    James

    JSH, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    most important problems:

    There are three things missing:
    1. home button
    2. stop button

    Chrome reports Java Web Start as not present (see javascript on
    http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html)

    Chrome does not run Java Web Start apps (*.jnlp) seamlessly. You must
    download then run.

    Chrome runs signed Java apps without confirmation, even ones with
    self-signed certificates

    You must use beta JDK 1.6.0_10. This has been reported already..

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Over here I do have a home button as well as a view source button. Stop works by
    pressing ESC
    works like expected over here. I just need to allow downloading jnlp file.

    Stefan Rybacki, Sep 3, 2008
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    in Fonts & languages I configured 16 point Constantia, Arial and 13
    but BitStream Vera Sans Mono.

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  10. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    Well, duh. How do you think they made Chrome go so fast? It's lightweight
    - because the characters are smaller than in regular browsers!

    Sure, you can make them bigger, but expect the performance to evaporate.

    Now, if only we could get web page authors to use smaller letters in the
    first place, then we could slash download times too ...

    tom

    Tom Anderson, Sep 3, 2008
  11. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    :)

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    There is a comic book that talks about the design. It looks
    promising, how they go for isolation and sandboxing each JavaScript.

    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

    It will be a while before that design compensates for its immaturity.

    Chrome is aimed at a casual user, a few buttons and options as
    possible to avoid overwhelm. Not even any skins.

    I discovered you can get a home button. You have to configure it on in
    options.

    It does not support client SSL authentication, but it does support SSL
    and EVSSL secure websites.

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  13. James is too stupid to configure fonts.

    willo_thewisp, Sep 3, 2008
  14. Martin Gregorie, Sep 3, 2008
  15. That should of course be "All your base are belong to us." ;-)

    Bummer though.

    RedGrittyBrick, Sep 3, 2008
  16. Does it do that if you refuse the installation option for collecting
    usage info?

    Chris Riesbeck, Sep 3, 2008
  17. Both View Source (control-shift-U) and a DOM Inspector are under the
    [Control document] | Developer menu. The DOM inspector is inside the
    Javascript console.

    Chris Riesbeck, Sep 3, 2008
  18. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Thanks. I have updated the docs at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/google.html#CHROME

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2008
  19. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Maybe it is behaving BETTER than Opera. The Applets I tested were my
    own. Maybe it recognises my cert as automatically valid.

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2008
  20. Or, perhaps you've registered your own certificate on your machine
    somewhere and Chrome found it there...

    I'll wait for a Linux version, before I try it myself.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Sep 4, 2008