gui application on cross platform

james_027

Hi,

I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

Thanks
james

Stefano Canepa

Hi,

I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?

Yes. Qt, wxwidgets and pygtk run on Linux and Windows, don't know
about Macs.
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?

Not in the Delphi way but glade/gazpacho are good GUI designer for
gtk.
I have no experience with qtdesigner or the wx equivalent app.
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?

python has dbapi, all DBs look the same, python can also use ORM like
SQLObjects and SQLALchemy
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

I tried wxwidgets and pygtk, then I decided to use pygtk but it
could be I'll change my mind in the future.

Bye
sc

james_027

Yes. Qt, wxwidgets and pygtk run on Linux and Windows, don't know
about Macs.

Not in the Delphi way but glade/gazpacho are good GUI designer for
gtk.
I have no experience with qtdesigner or the wx equivalent app.

python has dbapi, all DBs look the same, python can also use ORM like
SQLObjects and SQLALchemy

I tried wxwidgets and pygtk, then I decided to use pygtk but it
could be I'll change my mind in the future.

Bye
sc

Thanks sc,

What do you mean when you say .."all DBs look the same"

what is the difference between pygtk and wxwidgets?

bye
james

Matt van de Werken

james_027 said:
Hi,

I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

I'm also going down this path, and have decided on python + wxWidgets +
boa as the RAD tool. From the tutorial, it seems pretty easy to use,
except for some minor annoyances on both windows and linux platforms.

Under windows, for some inexplicable reason the "dialogs" tab is not
present, while under linux, I can't seem to drag components around the
frame after placement.

Cheers,
mvdw

johnf

james_027 said:
Hi,

I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

Thanks
james
May I suggest you take a close look at Dabo (www.dabodev.com). Dabo was
designed from the ground up to do exact what you are asking for. Take a
look at the Dabo screencast
(http://leafe.com/screencasts/dataenvironment1.html)
which will provide an easy review of most of what Dabo can do.

Johnf

Ed Leafe

I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?

wxPython is probably the best cross-platform GUI toolkit available
for Python. That's why we chose it for our primary UI toolkit for Dabo.
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?

Not in Python per se, but I know exactly what you mean.

I come from the Visual FoxPro world, which is very similar to
Delphi. I stumbled upon Python, and quickly discovered that it was
far and away the best language I've programmed in in over 3 decades
of coding. Yet it lacked anything like the power of GUI development
that tools such as Delphi or Visual FoxPro offered. So along with my
partner Paul McNett, we set out to create such a tool, and that is Dabo.
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?

One word: Dabo. We do database apps.
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

Check out our collection of screencasts to see what Dabo can do for
you (http://dabodev.com/documentation). Post messages to the dabo-
users list to get answers to any questions you might have (sign up at
http://leafe.com/mailman/listinfo/dabo-users).

There are a ton of web frameworks out there. But for Python, there
is only one desktop app framework: Dabo.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com

Stefano Canepa

Thanks sc,

What do you mean when you say .."all DBs look the same"

That via dbapi you can use different DBs using the same API.
what is the difference between pygtk and wxwidgets?

pygtk uses GTK
wxwidget use a different gui toolkit on different platform. It is
probably the best crossplatform GUI.
I used pyGTK simply becouse my GUI apps runs only on gnome.

Bye
sc