hang when I run perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::Perl'

Stephane Charette

I'm trying to get Net::SSH::perl installed. I did install
Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
without problem.

But when I run "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::perl'" the whole
thing hangs at this point:

-----------------
Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Cipher::DES.3pm
Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::packet.3pm
Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Key::RSA.3pm
/usr/bin/make -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/01-
compile.....ok
t/02-
buffer......ok
t/03-packet......ok 1/10
-----------------

At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes. CTRL
+C breaks out and aborts the installation. I see plenty of posts
about this when searching with Google, but no answer. Can anyone
help?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch, perl 5.8.8 that ships with
Ubuntu.

Stéphane

cantumike

[...]

I've had the exact same experience with FreeBSD 7.0. Is there a
solution?

Ben Morrow

Quoth Stephane Charette said:
I'm trying to get Net::SSH::perl installed. I did install
Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
without problem.

But when I run "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::perl'" the whole
thing hangs at this point:

t/03-packet......ok 1/10

At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes. CTRL
+C breaks out and aborts the installation. I see plenty of posts
about this when searching with Google, but no answer. Can anyone
help?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch, perl 5.8.8 that ships with
Ubuntu.

I get the same result here. After a little investigation, it appears to
be a bug in the test suite, but I don't really understand it. What seems
to be happening is

The test replaces the internal socket handle with a tied FH, so it
can test what gets sent and received.

This tied filehandle claims to have a fileno of 255 (but doesn't, of
course).

This filehandle is passed to an IO::Select instance, which tries to
select on fd 255.

This fd isn't open, so the select hangs.

I wonder if the behaviour of select(2) when passed a bitmap not
containing any open filehandles has changed? In any case, I would say
it's clearly a bug: report it to the author, if it hasn't been already.

Ben

jason.antonacci

From cpan I got to the same point then <ctrl+c> exited. I then re-ran
with "force install Net::SSH::perl".