Hello people, can you help with some suggestions on our site?

www.jrdesignstudio.com

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

www.jrdesignstudio.com

Many thanks,
JR Design Studio

Andy Dingley

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site.

Abysmal.

I wander up to your site, looking to spend money on design skills and
I'm told "You can't come in, you're not fashionable enough, your
plugins are out of date and those jeans is casual."

So, I won't. Goodbye.

Incidentally, I do have the right plugin. Requiring it's bad enough,
telling me I'm wrong when I'm not is unforgivable.

Chaddy2222

Andy said:
Abysmal.

I wander up to your site, looking to spend money on design skills and
I'm told "You can't come in, you're not fashionable enough, your
plugins are out of date and those jeans is casual."

So, I won't. Goodbye.

Incidentally, I do have the right plugin. Requiring it's bad enough,
telling me I'm wrong when I'm not is unforgivable.
Browser sniffing gone horbly wrong? Is what normally causes that. In
this case though it could just be moronic design.

www.jrdesignstudio.com

Thanks! Quite right.... I was thinking of getting rid of the green man
- just to read the comments and to confirm that I don't need to tell
people what they don't have. Very good point!
Thanks again.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:13:56 GMT
www.jrdesignstudio.com scribed:
Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

www.jrdesignstudio.com

Many thanks,
JR Design Studio

What the hell, I just looked at this site! Do you suffer from senility or
just don't give a damn about net etiquette?

Jonathan N. Little

www.jrdesignstudio.com said:
Thanks! Quite right.... I was thinking of getting rid of the green man
- just to read the comments and to confirm that I don't need to tell
people what they don't have. Very good point!

The problem is that the green man warns you even when you *do* have the
plugin! Also do not top-post please.

David Hennessy

www.jrdesignstudio.com said:
Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

www.jrdesignstudio.com

It's very pretty. Does it need to be in Flash? The transitions are nice,
but only if you get past the annoyance of watching a movie with
transitions when you want to be clicking on things. Surely if your
design inclines me to want to hire you, you don't want me to have to
wait for a transition to finish loading first! ;-)

What would it take to re-create the same look and feel, but using
images, CSS, and HTML? Not only will you gain the respect of your peers,
but I bet you'll have a much more Google-friendly site as a result. It
will probably also be much less of a pain to make updates.

Oh, and fire the bouncer. He almost turned me away, even though I met
his standards.

Sparky

get rid of the person at the beginning...
um... the fad in transitions take a long time... added with loading,
if i were you id take them out or put something out

mr rudeforth

www.jrdesignstudio.com said:
Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

www.jrdesignstudio.com
hmmm apparently you are "Profoundly competent".

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in @e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
Browser sniffing gone horbly wrong? Is what normally causes that. In
this case though it could just be moronic design.

You mean http://www.moRondeSign.com ? (heavy flash and noisy, but fun)

Chaddy2222

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in @e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

You meanhttp://www.moRondeSign.com? (heavy flash and noisy, but fun)
Nah, I mean the fact that the Op's site did not show any actual
content when it loaded and just demanded that the visitor needed to
get a plug-in is moronic.
The main designers site should be accessible to the majority of
computer users, after all most of the people they are targeting would
not have much technical knowledge. If they did they would not be
paying them to design their website.

Travis Newbury

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.
PU....

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

I, even being a flash lover, would run away from your site. That
"disclaimer" as your home page is retarded. (And I am doing a
disservice to all the retarded people in the world by making that
comparison)

The animation is amateurish and sucks at best. (it also gives you a
headache if you watch it). Whats with the lime green color? Did
anyone in your shop take color theory?

Your logo looks like buttons and that is the first place I took my
mouse to find the navigation.

Lose the all flash site. Do a mix of Flash and html. Forget the
disclaimer screen in the beginning. There was nothing I saw that
required your page to be published in Flash 9. Always publish in
flash 7 if you can.

frederick

I would really appreciate some thoughts on our new site. I will launch
the html version very soon. But at the moment, it is in Flash. Please
fire away with all possible thoughts, remarks, and suggestions -
whatever harsh they are.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

www.jrdesignstudio.com

If you'll accept a non-expert's view as well:

I also thought the man at the beginning was telling me I don't have
the correct version of Flash installed. Unfortunately after that you
give visitors something that's effectively a splash page before it
transitions into content. Making visitors click/wait through two
steps before getting to the site proper can't be a good idea,
especially when the first step may well make them think that the site
is broken or their browser won't be able to handle it.

With Javascript disabled your site is plug-ugly, but perhaps that's
what you mean when saying that the HTML version is yet to be dealt
with.

The "Stop" and "Play" buttons at the bottom-right of the "intro" page
are pointless.

The logo at top-right looks like a series of buttons (but isn't). The
combination of purple (used only here) and green (used here and
everywhere else) is jarring to me. The text below the "buttons" also
looks like it should align with them, but doesn't.

The "sliding" green bars when moving the mouse pointer over the menu
at top-left are needlessly distracting, and don't move in an intuitive
direction when moving the mouse pointer between options (they seem at
times to be moving "backwards").

For some reason in Firefox Ctrl-Page Up and Ctrl-Page Down won't
navigate away from the tab your page is on. Maybe it always does that
with Flash-based sites, I don't know.

The text showing the e-mail address after clicking on "contact" is
selectable (which is good) but the text showing the 'phone numbers
isn't (which is bad). You talk about offices in Oxford and Hants. but
give an address for neither, and the telephone and fax numbers are
only for the latter location. The contrast between text and
background on your contact form is also extremely low, making the text
hard to read, and indeed the "SUBMIT" button is almost invisible to my
eyes.

You use a reasonable font size but nevertheless don't provide any
option for people to increase it if they wish to. Do you only want to
attract business from people with 20:20 vision?

Only after several minutes did I realise that the boxes on the right
were clickable!

I do actually quite like your site but the Flash is just overused.
I'd restrict its use for the "frippery" on the right and keep the core
parts of the site in HTML. That would also have the eminent advantage
of not having to duplicate your site for HTML and Flash versions,
would mean that URLs that search engines know about (via what's now
the separate HTML version) would correspond to the URL for the page a
human visitor will see, and would mean that individual "pages" would
be bookmarkable.

Bergamot

For some reason in Firefox Ctrl-Page Up and Ctrl-Page Down won't
navigate away from the tab your page is on. Maybe it always does that
with Flash-based sites, I don't know.

Yeah, that's a long-standing issue with gecko browsers. Once you "click"
within the flash movie, *it* has focus and normal keyboard operation
doesn't work right any more. You can't tab out of it, either.

:(

frederick

Yeah, that's a long-standing issue with gecko browsers. Once you "click"
within the flash movie, *it* has focus and normal keyboard operation
doesn't work right any more. You can't tab out of it, either.

:(

Ah, thanks for that. I guess it's obvious how many Flash websites I
frequent!