Help ASP.NET 2.0 and WORD

SteveM

Hi,
I am needing some help/advice on how to display a word document in my
ASP.NET web pages that can update itself from a word document located
on the server. The idea here is that when the user makes changes to the
document and uploads it to the website, that a refresh of the page will
load the changes. Ideally what I would like would be to render the
document as HTML because of the hyperlinks in the document that work
nicely as HTML but may not as a displayed word document.

I am not interested in purchasing any third party products to get this
done, and I don't mind doing the work myself if someone can just give
me a starter or idea or recommend where I might find the answer.

Thanks for your help
SteveM

SteveM

Sorry, I am unsure how to do that code wise. I of course know how to do
it manually and assume that there is an API or clever code way of doing
it, but I am unaware of it. This would solve my problem nicely if you
can give me a hint
Thanks for the response :)
-SteveM

Jacob

You wrote in your first post that the user makes the changes and then
uploads the document. The easiest non-programmatic way is to have the
web server's document folder accesible, and then merely tell the user
to save the document as HTML in Word to that folder.

SteveM

I thought about that and can keep that in mind for a "last resort"
plan, but I would really prefer to make it less work on the user, and
would also like to learn to do this for other things I wish to
implement down the road. I did this with Excel already but used a
datagrid control to render the excel data, I was hoping for a similar
solution with Word

Thanks
-Steve

Jacob

I believe you can access word documents (post Word 2003) using the dll
files which are installed with Office. You can try and search through
the available dlls with Visual Studio and see if that works for you.

SteveM

Unfortunately I am using word from office 2003, I did try and add a
reference for the Microsoft.Word.Object but was unable to find any
examples as of yet on what to do with it ;-)
Thanks for your response
-Steve