HELP!...Google SketchUp needs a Python API

alex23,
Ok...you don't like my idea...so why keep responding?

ajaksu,
You insulted me and accused me of trolling, but it looks like your
interested. And you also included links. I think your really on board
and just can't say it yet *wink*. Thank You

Aaron,
I agree to disagree with you...although you make some good points...
and welcome your views on Lasch's reference to the pitfalls of a
Narcissistic society. At least you DO know how to engage in
intelligent conversation to the benefit of both parties, and not just
flame. Thank you

James,
By far the most positive post since Greg's. I agree with your overview
and welcome your constructive criticism. Thank You friend

So I would defiantly say things are starting to turn. The butterfly
effect is transforming my crazy idea to garner support for a SU Python
integration into maybe becoming reality. I still have hope! All i need
is one or two serious people and we could do this. I know you're out
there.

PS hey...even alex23's post are a little less mean. Either I am
wearing him down or he is beginning to believe :) I would love to have
you on board alex... i'm thinking... bouncer xD

alex23

PS hey...even alex23's post are a little less mean. Either I am
wearing him down or he is beginning to believe :)

Yes, my wishing your death by asphyxiation is "less mean" than my
original post suggesting you do some work.

Your lack of reading comprehension is another big indicator that
you're a troll.

Just die already.

PS james,

Since you are alex23's friend, do the world a favor...PLEASE GET ALEX
LAID...before it's too late!

At least -someone- besides myself has a sense of humor around here.

PS James, i will look through my contact list and send you a few
"easy" numbers... good luck :)

Craig Allen

Just remember thought that if you threat Python like a
hammer, suddenly everything will look like a bail.

don't you mean if you use Python like a pitchfork?

OK...so here are the stat's so far.

6+BDFL - who would support my crazy idea, or think it -might- be ok
11 - who are on the fence
6 - who think this is a complete waste of time, a stupid idea, or just
simply want to kill me

-> from these stats i can deduce the following:
total_members_comp.lang.python = 14433
note: I will be fair and remove spammers or members that don't follow
this list anymore by dividing the total number in half.(this should be
generous enough)
total_actual_members = (14433/2) = 7214
total_num_responders = 11

->current stats: <11>
percentFor = 31
percentNay = 27
percentOnFence = 40

->Forecast of turnout: <7214>
potentialFors = 2,236.34
potentialConverts = 2,885.34
totalPotentials = 5,121.68

even if only 10% of these act...that is 512 people. I still have hope!

import hope
while hope.amt > 0:
continue

James Mills

Or that everything else looks like a nail. B and N are right next to each
other, so that seems more likely to me.

Haha that was my bad typing :)

--JamesMills

James Mills

You're a funny man r :)
Good luck with your endeavours!
I have a hard enough time convincing my work colleagues to use
anything other than PHP for everything!
Here PHP is the Hammer / Pitchfork!

--JamesMills

"If we can laugh what else would we do"

I'd like to touch also on some comments by ajaksu:
[ajaksu]
I'd like to try hacking some form of Python to work in SketchUp (on
top of Ruby, that is). Now, why won't I try to? I'm a Linux user and
we don't get a SU version. So much for FREEDOM. BTW, some things in
SU
have encrypted Ruby code behind them :)
[/ajaksu]

You CAN use SketchUp on Linux...ajaksu...thru Wine, but I know this is
not good enough. I would love to see FULL SketchUp support for linux
and I HAVE made my voice heard. I urge you brother to make make your
voice heard also.

Go to this thread and let your voice be heard:
http://groups.google.com/group/sket...ad4d5/dfabe1e01bab12b3?hl=en#dfabe1e01bab12b3

This is the reason...amoung many others...that Linux has yet to take
any noticable market from MS. Linux could...If the Linux devolpers
would ban together and unite to make package managment and portability
between all *nix's universal, OR one great linux distro that the
average dummy can use(ubuntu looks promising, but still has a long way
to go)...compete with microsoft on a grand level. We have to steal the
idiots from under microsoft's feet, and they will come crumbling down.
But as long as a poor n00b installs his shiny new *nix system and
can't even connect to the network to see the latest janet jackson
"wardrobe malfunction", or fiqure out how to mount a flash drive,
Linux will be nothing more than our beloved oddessy.

There will NEVER be good support on linux for most applications,
games, etc... Until people start to get behind linux and support it.
Now you say, well i don't have time to support this, my life is too
busy, my back hurts. I say stop making excuses. You DON'T have to
invest your life, just simply make your voice heard.(myself and other
dedicated people will tow the load). But at least get off your bum and
do something.

It's time to change the world, the hour is upon us, Microsoft is
asleep at the wheel, the time for revolution is NOW!

Lie

Go to this thread and let your voice be heard:http://groups.google.com/group/sketchupsuggestions/browse_thread/thre...

[...]

Action speaks louder than words.

Not that I have done anything than talking lately though.

For Google to implement a huge feature like python scripting, they
would want to calculate its business feasibility (though Google is one
of the rare companies that is extremely lax on this side). Sketchup's
target users is not power users but those who need quick sketches, so
scripting isn't an extremely important feature in Sketchup. Moreover,
if they implement python scripting because someone wants it, other
languages would demand the same.

So, it does have to start from you creating a python-extension and
getting enough users to make Google think: "There are much more python
programmers than Ruby programmers in Sketchup, implementing python
scripting would be a sound decision."

[Lie]
Sketchup's target users is not power users but those who need quick
sketches, so scripting isn't an extremely important feature in
Sketchup.[/Lie]

Your Wrong, SketchUp PRO is marketed at ACAD users and other high
profile CAD and CAM applications. SketchUp models can be exported to
ACAD and ACAD models can be imported to SketckUp. Anyone who would say
scripting is not important to a modeler has never spent much time
modeling. Scripting is of upmost importance to the usefulness of
SketchUP(or any CAD/CAM app), without it more advanced modeler types
would not be interested. As far as Google earth goes...that is more a
marketing ploy, and that Google is a cool company, rather than the
primary use for SketchUP...and it has worked well!

Your Right, creating a Python extension and getting people interested,
is the gateway to convincing SketchUp DEV to include Python alongside
Ruby.(and even if they don't it won't matter once the wrapping is
there). I hang out a lot in the SketchUp Ruby Group, and a lots of
people are turned off by Ruby. I think Python could help them get
going. This is the reason for my crusade. Not just for me...but
because there is a real void python can fill in SketchUp. Once there
is a python wrapping of Ruby API I will take over, writing tutorials,
writing example code, fielding Python related questions...This is my
commitment to this project. I AM willing to work extremely hard to
make this happen. If just ONE other person would get on board this
will happen.

No...I DO NOT know how to wrap the Ruby API myself...but once the
Python wrapping is there i will take over and bring this to life. From
that point on, i will not need any help. I will maintain the code, And
i will be happy to let this person(s) take ALL the credit for bringing
Python to SketchUp...I do not want the credit.