[help]SAS with FPGAs

westspeed

Hi,all.I am doing a project which will implement SAS with FPGAs on
Xilinx Virtex 4 ML405 board. But before I am a software designer and
never do IC design before ,so this project is very difficult for
me.Who could help me and give me some guidances or some datum and
paper about how to implement SAS with FPGAs.I will be very
grateful.Thanks very much.

John_H

Hi,all.I am doing a project which will implement SAS with FPGAs on
Xilinx Virtex 4 ML405 board. But before I am a software designer and
never do IC design before ,so this project is very difficult for
me.Who could help me and give me some guidances or some datum and
paper about how to implement SAS with FPGAs.I will be very
grateful.Thanks very much.

Serial Attached SCSI is NOT a task for someone to design from the ground
up unless they are *very* seasoned hardware engineers, in my opinion,
and have time to "waste" at that. If you purchase an SAS core from a
3rd party vendor, integrating this core to a usable system would be a
challenge for someone unfamiliar with hardware design, though doable.
Starting from nothing, this would have to be at least a man year worth
of work to get to where the drives are starting to talk for someone who
isn't already confident with FPGAs.

If you have the SAS cores, you may be able to get integration help from
the people who developed the cores. At least the learning curve at that
point would be much simpler for the uninitiated since wiring up cores to
a top level design is easier than developing the core, but it's still
not something I'd expect a non-hardware person to be responsible for.

It's a little like asking me - expert in hardware, knowledge about
software with the ability to read through most and write some C - to
develop a database system for those SAS drives. Uhhh....

- John_H