Hosting Plaform

Mick Walker

Hi,

I have been charged with creating a front end system for a web hosting
solution.

Here is the spec:

• Web Hosting

By default we'd like new sites to have a quota of 250Mb disk space and a
set amount of bandwidth usage (e.g. 2Gb) for static HTML with no logging
enabled. With that as a base, we'd then offer a series of add-ons -
some free, some with costs.

We'd need to add/edit/remove the following:

- disk space
- monthly bandwidth usage
- FrontPage extensions
- custom MIME types
- host headers
- logging
- custom error pages
- default documents
- virtual directories
- index server catalogues
- site security (NTLM, IP restriction, etc)
- ASP
- ASP.Net v1.1
- ASP.Net v2.0
- PHP
- Perl CGI (possibly)
- additional FTP accounts
- password protection
- directory permissions: read/write/browse
- webstats (free - using Log Parser)
- premium webstats (currently WebTrends)
- scheduled tasks (possibly)
- piggyback SSL (each host will have a generic cert installed)
- standalone SSL certs (each requiring a separate host IP address)
- database backups
- source content backups

Basically we are aiming for a robust deployment scenario, where upon
sign up the clients website/space is created and deployed as
automatically as possible, through the management interface I am
designing (Similar to PIPEX's).

Management of the options above is also an item we will be adding in
later.

I have been doing some research, and it seems that Configuration Manager
and Operations Manager are the way in which I can automate these tasks
as much as possible.

Does anyone have any good references/books that cover these items? I
particular I would like to look at some source code examples. I am going
to use C# but any language would be OK to use as a reference.

I didn't mention it before, but we are going to deploy using Windows
Server 2008, but any resources relating to 2003 would probably be fine
as well.

Kind Regards