How do I change data retrieved from db before sending it out to client

Raakeli

I'm new to dotnet. This might not be the right place to post my
question, if so, accept my apoligies and please redirect me to the
correct group.

I made a web service and it is working well, but some of the data I
retrieved from the database is in coded format (eg. R for Released).

1) What is the simplest way I can translate that data before sending it
out to the client?

2) Can I easily read codes and text from a table and use that to
translate the codes to text before sending to the client?

This is what I have done so far:
- generated a oleDbDataAdapter (with SQL stmt that retrieves raw data)
- generated a dataset
- coded a web method that fills the dataset from the dataAdapter and
returns the dataset to the client
- coded a client to get the data and display it in a datagrid.

What I need now is to alter the data to something sensible for the
client to read. I figure I should probably do that at the WebServices
end, otherwise all clients will have to do the translation.

Thanks in advance for any help.