How do I change data retrieved from db before sending it out to client

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Raakeli, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Raakeli

    Raakeli Guest

    I'm new to dotnet. This might not be the right place to post my
    question, if so, accept my apoligies and please redirect me to the
    correct group.

    I made a web service and it is working well, but some of the data I
    retrieved from the database is in coded format (eg. R for Released).

    1) What is the simplest way I can translate that data before sending it
    out to the client?

    2) Can I easily read codes and text from a table and use that to
    translate the codes to text before sending to the client?

    This is what I have done so far:
    - generated a oleDbDataAdapter (with SQL stmt that retrieves raw data)
    - generated a dataset
    - coded a web method that fills the dataset from the dataAdapter and
    returns the dataset to the client
    - coded a client to get the data and display it in a datagrid.

    What I need now is to alter the data to something sensible for the
    client to read. I figure I should probably do that at the WebServices
    end, otherwise all clients will have to do the translation.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Raakeli, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Raakeli

    Raakeli Guest

    I'm wondering if I've explained my problem badly. Someone please
    comment.

    Raakeli, Mar 21, 2005