How do I correctly download Wikipedia pages?

Steven D'Aprano

I'm trying to scrape a Wikipedia page from Python. Following instructions
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export

I use the URL "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export/Train" instead
of just "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train". But instead of getting the
page I expect, and can see in my browser, I get an error page:

Our servers are currently experiencing a technical problem. This is
probably temporary and should be fixed soon

(Output is obviously truncated for your sanity and mine.)

Is there a trick to downloading from Wikipedia with urllib?

Cousin Stanley

I'm trying to scrape a Wikipedia page from Python.

On occasion I use a program under Debian Linux
called wikipedia2text that is very handy
for downloading wikipedia pages as plain text files ....

This script fetches Wikipedia articles (currently supports
around 30 Wikipedia languages) and displays them as plain text
in a pager or just sends the text to standard out. Alternatively
it opens the Wikipedia article in a (possibly GUI) web browser
or just shows the URL of the appropriate Wikipedia article.

Example directed through the lynx browser ....

wp2t -b lynx gorilla > gorilla.txt