How do i move a project from a local development pc to a server ?

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.

I sense from this reply and your other one that you are perturbed about
something. It is not my intention to do so. If i have offended you in any
way, i would like to apologize for that.

I'm i am not ignoring your advice, I just don't see how my question of "how
do i move a VS.NET 2003 project from one standalone computer to a network
environment, when i attempt it, it says that it can't find 'localhost'" is
answered by your replies.

I'm not asking if it is OK to install VS.NET 2003 on my server or how to
configure IIS. I just need to know how to keep it from telling me that it
can't find localhost possibly by changing my program before i take it to my
office. I don't know the answer.

Again, I am sorry if you think that i am ignoring your advice. I post in
these forums for the knowledge and knowhow of the experts that monitor them
and in this case, i am simply looking for an answer to my specific problem.
I thought that someone with your apparent knowledge and expertise would be
able to tell me what to do.

Thanks,
Tony

Juan T. Llibre

re:
When i try to open the project on the xp (which does not have IIS running locally)
connected to the Windows 2003, i get an error that says it can't find localhost.

You *must* install IIS on that computer if you want to be able
to access a VS 2003 project copied to that computer.

First, install IIS on that XP Pro box.

Then, try to access the project.

When you open a Web project, the system opens it using the Web access method
(file share or FrontPage Server Extensions) last used for the project.

To open an existing Web project that is not part of source control

1. On the File menu, point to Open, and then choose Project From Web.
2. In the Open Project From Web dialog box, enter the URL of the Web server where the project is
located, and then click OK.
3. In the Open Project dialog box, double-click your Web project's folder.
4. Double-click the appropriate project file to open the project.

The Web project opens and its files are listed in Solution Explorer. If the project could not be
opened, an error message is shown that allows you to try another Web access method or to
work offline.

Tony Girgenti

Hello Juan.

I don't want to install IIS on my XP Pro box.

However your information on opening a Project From Web gives me an idea to
try. I can probably open the Project From Web on the 2003 server.

I should probably pay more attention to the menu options.

Thanks,
Tony

Juan T. Llibre

What made it a bit difficult to diagnose your problem is that you stated that :
When i try to open the project on the xp (which does not have IIS running locally)

That led me to believe that you wanted to open the project from that box.
I think you meant "open the project from the xp".

re:
I can probably open the Project From Web on the 2003 server.

Yup, you probably can.

re:

You're quite welcome.
Good luck, and let us know how you do, OK ?

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,
I sense from this reply and your other one that you are perturbed about
something.

Sorry, it's been a difficult week:)

There are two different questions here, both of which I've answered.

Q1, How can I use an XP client box with VS2003 and IIS 5.1 both at home
and at work, then publish to a production server.

Q2, Should I run VS2003 directly on a production server?

Can you try to keep each topic above separate, otherwise it's confusing.

Regarding Q2, I could write a book on "why", but I don't have time. Q1
has already been answered three times. If you'd set it up, you'd have
seen it's called localhost regardless of whether you're at home or at
work. The localhost hostname is assigned to the local computer (the one
you're sitting in front of) at IP address 127.0.0.1

If you develop on the local box, and use standards compliant HTTP as
opposed to Microsoft's non-standards based SMB and NetBIOS, you'll
notice the root of the local web server is called

http://localhost/

The production server is probably called something like

http://BigServer15/

It's fully canonical name would be something like

http://BigServer15.mycompany.com/

and there may be DNS records pointing to it (alises) simply called

http://mycomany.com/

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have made this clear from the beginning
and i apologize for that. I don't want to install IIS on the local
computer.

My server at the office is lakeside. When i am at home, i test by going to
http://localhost/CoyneTruckWebServices

When i go to my office, i want to be able to key in
http://lakeside/CoyneTruckWebServices

Using http://lakeside/CoyneTruckWebServices works at the office. I've
tried it with a small test program. I guess i could bring my source code to
the office, open that empty test program(which already runns from:
http://lakeside/CoyneTruckWebServices) , copy in my source code and aspx
file,from the source that i brought from home and i would essentially have
my project under development at the office. Instead of using a localhost
iis 5.1 at the office, i would be using lakeside's 6.0 iis.

I could do that. I just thought there would be an easier way to do that.

I'm sorry if i caused you to spend a lot of time on this problem, and your
replies indicate you did, simply because i did not explain it properly.

Thanks,
Tony

Gerry Hickman

Tony said:
Sorry for the confusion. I should have made this clear from the beginning
and i apologize for that. I don't want to install IIS on the local
computer.

Well installing IIS on the workstations is the correct solution for
VS2003, for VS2005 you don't need to worry about any of this.
My server at the office is lakeside. When i am at home, i test by going to
http://localhost/CoyneTruckWebServices

When i go to my office, i want to be able to key in
http://lakeside/CoyneTruckWebServices

Yes, it's quite easy to do this as long as you code everything relative
(e.g. HFEFs and FileSystem paths), however, this implies you're trying
to develop directly on the live server, but you haven't set up process
isolation and remote debugging, so it's not the correct way of doing it.

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.
(e.g. HFEFs and FileSystem paths), <<

I have no idea of what you mean by code everything relative and what HFEF
and FileSystem paths are.
to develop directly on the live server, but you haven't set up process
isolation and remote debugging, so it's not the correct way of doing it. <<

I gather from this that you know how to do this, but you decide not to tell
me because you don't feel it is the correct way to develop this project and
you do not want to give me the incoorrect way of doing things. If that is
the case, i'm guessing, it's probably either against your better judgement
or something you feel is unethical.

Thanks for all of the help you have provided so far.

Tony

Tony Girgenti

Hello Juan.

When i try to open "Project From Web", i enter the server name in the url
box, select the web site i want to open and it gives this message:
"Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved
or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the
server."

Thanks,
Tony