How many Internet Explorers have the Sun plug-in installed?

Chris Berg

I would like to know the percentage of ordinary web-surfers with IE
who use the plug-in from Sun in stead of the pre-installed MS Java
1.1.

Someone must have a logfile statistic that gives a rough estimate? Or
is there a website that keeps track of it?

Chris

Mickey Segal

Chris Berg said:
I would like to know the percentage of ordinary web-surfers with IE
who use the plug-in from Sun in stead of the pre-installed MS Java
1.1.

I don't have hard data but the percentage using Sun's JVM is way up over the
past year. The number is nowhere near high enough to allow programmers to
blow off the Microsoft JVM but it is certainly high enough so you need to
work around devastating issues with the Sun JVM such as this one:
http://segal.org/java/ReDisplay/

Thomas Schodt

I would like to know the percentage of ordinary web-surfers with IE
who use the plug-in from Sun in stead of the pre-installed MS Java

Even my not particularly technical nephew uses both Mozilla and Firebird in
addition to MSIE.

No idea if he has installed a proper JRE tho.

Someone must have a logfile statistic that gives a rough estimate? Or
is there a website that keeps track of it?

A quick google gave a number of good hits, like

I'd guess RedSheriff probably have more accurate data (as they've been
using Java applets to gather info on peoples browsing habits).
These days more and more people (at least the technically savvy) are either
disabling Java (at least as a default) or finding other ways of
thwarting the efforts of RedSheriff.

Chris Berg

Even my not particularly technical nephew uses both Mozilla and Firebird in
addition to MSIE.

No idea if he has installed a proper JRE tho.

A quick google gave a number of good hits, like

What search words did you use? I just cant imagine what to write to
get less than zillions of pages.
I'd guess RedSheriff probably have more accurate data (as they've been
using Java applets to gather info on peoples browsing habits).
These days more and more people (at least the technically savvy) are either
disabling Java (at least as a default) or finding other ways of
thwarting the efforts of RedSheriff.

What/who is 'Redsheriff? Do they have a website?

Chris

Thomas Schodt

A quick google gave a number of good hits, like
What search words did you use? I just cant imagine what to write to
get less than zillions of pages.

Google "browser usage users", and yes there are a ton of irrelevent links,
what do you expect?

What/who is 'Redsheriff? Do they have a website?

Redsheriff is a company that offer user profiling services to web sites.
They accomplish their profiling by loading a Java applet in your browser
WITHOUT YOUR EXPLICIT CONSENT OR KNOWLEDGE and this applet sends back
data about what you are browsing to some Redsheriff server somewhere.

Yes they have a web site.
If you decide to go there, check your Java Console.