How secured is the ASP.NET 2.0 web.config encryption?

Anonieko

Okay, I use impersonation in my web.config by putting the username and
password at <system.web><identity> section...

Okay, I can encrypt this section via this command

C> aspnet_regiis -pef "system.web/identity" c:\proj\adservice

But what is the point? Anybody can still decrypt it by doing...

C> aspnet_regiis -pef "system.web/identity" c:\proj\adservice

How can I prevent this from happening?

Norman Yuan

Anonieko said:
Okay, I use impersonation in my web.config by putting the username and
password at <system.web><identity> section...

Okay, I can encrypt this section via this command

C> aspnet_regiis -pef "system.web/identity" c:\proj\adservice

But what is the point? Anybody can still decrypt it by doing...

Only if "Anybody" can go to the web server and runs that command (it implies
the "Anybody" is an admin to that server.