How to call a dll in ASP ?

fiefie.niles

We have a C++ DLL that we call from VB6 program.
This is how we declare the DLL in VB6:
Declare Function RefSearch Lib "csearch32.dll" (ByVal path As String,
ByVal findword As String, ByVal CaseSensitive As Integer) As Integer

This is how we call the DLL in VB6:
hit = RefSearch(path, SearchStr1, ChkValue)

Can I call this DLL in ASP and how ?
Thank you.

McKirahan

We have a C++ DLL that we call from VB6 program.
This is how we declare the DLL in VB6:
Declare Function RefSearch Lib "csearch32.dll" (ByVal path As String,
ByVal findword As String, ByVal CaseSensitive As Integer) As Integer

This is how we call the DLL in VB6:
hit = RefSearch(path, SearchStr1, ChkValue)

Can I call this DLL in ASP and how ?

Is the DLL "apartment threaded"?
Can you recompile it to be?

Creating Visual basic COMponents for ASP
http://www.macronimous.com/resources/tutorials/asp_vb_dll.asp

Calling a Visual Basic Component Subroutine from ASP

fiefie.niles

Thanks.

The DLL is a VC++ DLL, not a VB DLL. There is no class that I can call
it like
Set objName = Server.CreateObject("ProjectName.ClassModuleName")
I want to call this VC++ DLL from ASP

Anthony Jones

We have a C++ DLL that we call from VB6 program.
This is how we declare the DLL in VB6:
Declare Function RefSearch Lib "csearch32.dll" (ByVal path As String,
ByVal findword As String, ByVal CaseSensitive As Integer) As Integer

This is how we call the DLL in VB6:
hit = RefSearch(path, SearchStr1, ChkValue)

Can I call this DLL in ASP and how ?
Thank you.

Create an VB6 ActiveX DLL. In the project properties it is very important
that both Unattended Execution and Retained In Memory are selected otherwise
your site will crash for almost inexplicable reasons. For performance
reasons apartment threading is strongly recommend. You do not need to
recompile your existing C++ dll.

You VB6 code can look something like this:-

'Project MyAspHelper

'Class CSearch

Private Declare Function RefSearch Lib "csearch32.dll" (ByVal path As
String,
ByVal findword As String, ByVal CaseSensitive As Integer) As Integer

Public Function Search(ByVal Path As String, ByVal FindWord As String, ByVal
CaseSensitive As String) As Integer
Search = RefSearch(Path, FindWord, CaseSensitive)
End Function

Now in ASP you can use:-

Dim oSearch : Set oSearch = CreateObject("MyAspHelper.CSearch")

Dim lRes

lRes = oSearch.Search(FileName, "Hello", False)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Thanks.

The DLL is a VC++ DLL, not a VB DLL. There is no class that I can call
it like
Set objName = Server.CreateObject("ProjectName.ClassModuleName")
I want to call this VC++ DLL from ASP

There has to be. It has to be a COM object in order to call it from any
scripting language that I'm familiar with.

fiefie.niles

Great idea, thank you.
I tried it, but the weird thing is when I call that VB6 ActiveX DLL
from VB6, it search fine.
For example: I have a document with the word "FieFie" in it. Calling
the DLL from VB6, I can search for fiefie, or fie, or Fie and it will
find all of them.
Calling the DLL from ASP, when I search for Fie it will find it, but
when I search for fiefie or fie, it does not find it.

Anthony Jones

Great idea, thank you.
I tried it, but the weird thing is when I call that VB6 ActiveX DLL
from VB6, it search fine.
For example: I have a document with the word "FieFie" in it. Calling
the DLL from VB6, I can search for fiefie, or fie, or Fie and it will
find all of them.
Calling the DLL from ASP, when I search for Fie it will find it, but
when I search for fiefie or fie, it does not find it.

One test you might try is the same code in a VBScript file (.vbs).

Does the C++ DLL depend on any values found in the user context such as
current user registry values?