How to choose the right GUI toolkit ?

Neil Cerutti

I'm always surprised by the amount of energy that's put into
this type of discussion - even the OP has suggested that this
isn't a big issue. If it's not a big issue why is this thread
still going? Every language has a syntax. Why not just accept
it as a given and get on with more productive activities?

That's all very well if the language has a compromised and ad-hoc
syntax. But since Python has a nice clean syntax, it makes me
want to be associated with it by investing in its discussions. ;-)

Ron Adam

Steve said:
I'm always surprised by the amount of energy that's put into this type
of discussion - even the OP has suggested that this isn't a big issue.
If it's not a big issue why is this thread still going? Every language
has a syntax. Why not just accept it as a given and get on with more
productive activities?

It's because it's not an issue with an obviously (clear to everyone) good or bad
answer.

Obvious bad answer -> short discussion

Obvious good answer -> short discussion which spawns many long discussion
about the not so obviously details.

* Nearly a toss up -> really long discussion that rehashes things over and
over from various micro points of view.

Even though it's pretty much known this won't change, people still want the
clarity of an obvious answer even if an obvious solution doe not exist, so the
thread continues. And of course what is obvious or not isn't obvious to
everyone, so that too is a long discussion. ;-)

But I think this thread has a second underlying attribute that appeals to the
participants. It isn't so much an effort to change anything as it is an effort
to explore and understand why things where made the way they are. To those who
already know, this seems silly, but to those who are still learning, it seems
important.

This could be broken down a bit more, but then we would get into long debates on
the best non-obvious ways to do that. ;-)

Cheers,
Ron

Hendrik van Rooyen

Fredrik Lundh said:
have anyone counted the number of colons used in this way by the OP,
in his first few posts ? (if there isn't a name for the law that
states that the number for a "let's remove the colons" proposal is
always greater than zero, someone should come up with one...)

You just have - how do you want it to be immortalised?

The effbot's law of colonic inevitability?

- Badger (for Steve)