How to create a grid?

disappearedng

Hi everyone I am sort of interested in building a grid like google
calendar in terms of funtionality.

My question is: How do I do it?
1) Can i generate cell by cell in an scrollable iframe with event
Handlers attached to each cell so that when someone clicks on one of
them, I can act accordingly?

2) How do I post a box on top of certain grid such that when the user
scroll up or down, the grid follows that cell? (This is google
calendar's create event function - after creating an event, you can
see a grey object on top of the selected cell - Can I generate this
effect with CSS? Can I post the object on top of the cell yet make it
such that it will follow the cell whenever the user scrolls up or
down?)

I have looked at frameworks such as scriptaculous, jquery and Dojo.
Jquery and dojo offers grids that do not suit my needs and have huge
libraries. I just wanna know is there an easier way before I start
diving into hacking their source code...

David Mark

Hi everyone I am sort of interested in building a grid like google
calendar in terms of funtionality.

I wouldn't design any client wide widgets based on Google anything.
My question is: How do I do it?

Who knows?
1) Can i generate cell by cell in an scrollable iframe with event
Handlers attached to each cell so that when someone clicks on one of
them, I can act accordingly?

Better yet, generate a table cell by cell, in the same window and
attach one event listener. Start with that.
2) How do I post a box on top of certain grid such that when the user

Post a box?
scroll up or down, the grid follows that cell? (This is google
calendar's create event function - after creating an event, you can
see a grey object on top of the selected cell - Can I generate this
effect with CSS? Can I post the object on top of the cell yet make it
such that it will follow the cell whenever the user scrolls up or
down?)

Why not put the "grey object" in the cell.
I have looked at frameworks such as scriptaculous, jquery and Dojo.

Scriptaculous (sp?) is an effects add-on for Prototype, which also has
some basic drag and drop functionality IIRC. It is not a framework
and neither is jQuery (both are the ill-conceived efforts of
Javascript neophytes.) ISTM that Dojo is a framework, but a very bad
one written by incompetent developers.
Jquery and dojo offers grids that do not suit my needs and have huge

Even if they did suit your needs, they are built atop ersatz software
and too large to deploy on the Web.
libraries. I just wanna know is there an easier way before I start
diving into hacking their source code...

There is an easier way and reading the source code of those other
scripts is unlikely to bear fruit, unless you want to know how to
write a grid on top of one of them.