How to customize a jsp page?

puzzlecracker

I would like to let special users customize a some pages, let's call
them A and B. So basically I want to provide a hyperlink to a jsp page
with big text box where a user should be able to enter any text, html
(to appear on page A), with ability to preview it and save. Well the
textbox will come with some default html. Obviously I will have to
save it the page the file,etc

I haven't really deal with this sort of issues before and would
appreciate help on how implement it (examples and reference would be
very helpful too).

Thanks

Arne Vajhøj

puzzlecracker said:
I would like to let special users customize a some pages, let's call
them A and B. So basically I want to provide a hyperlink to a jsp page
with big text box where a user should be able to enter any text, html
(to appear on page A), with ability to preview it and save. Well the
textbox will come with some default html. Obviously I will have to
save it the page the file,etc

I haven't really deal with this sort of issues before and would
appreciate help on how implement it (examples and reference would be
very helpful too).

I think you want a CMS (Content Management System).

Several such exist.

The user edit the content with a WYSIWYG editor (AJAX), the
result is stored in database/filesystem and displayed.

CMS'es exist for Java web apps.

Arne

sasha

I think you want a CMS (Content Management System).

Several such exist.

The user edit the content with a WYSIWYG editor (AJAX), the
result is stored in database/filesystem and displayed.

CMS'es exist for Java web apps.

Arne

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am only using jsp out tomcat. As for
the DB, I have mysql in place. However, for this problem, I don't
think I need to go past of storing an html content into a file,
updating the current jsp with the content, and reloading. I just do
NOT know how to do it.

Thx

puzzlecracker

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am only using jsp out tomcat. As for
the DB, I have mysql in place. However, for this problem, I don't
think I need to go past of storing an html content into a file,
updating the current jsp with the content, and reloading. I just do
NOT know how to do it.
Thx

John B. Matthews

sasha said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am only using jsp out tomcat. As for
the DB, I have mysql in place. However, for this problem, I don't
think I need to go past of storing an html content into a file,
updating the current jsp with the content, and reloading. I just do
NOT know how to do it.

Wouldn't that be a good reason to use an existing CMS? I like
<http://trac.edgewall.org/>, which I see <http://sourceforge.net/> has
recently adopted. If you prefer Java, there is no shortage of choices:

<http://java-source.net/open-source/content-managment-systems>

Arne Vajhøj

puzzlecracker said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am only using jsp out tomcat. As for
the DB, I have mysql in place. However, for this problem, I don't
think I need to go past of storing an html content into a file,
updating the current jsp with the content, and reloading. I just do
NOT know how to do it.

A CMS will give you lots of functionality for little effort.

What you are suggesting is something that noone or very few has
done (among other things because it is non portable) and will
most likely require a huge effort on your part.

Arne

puzzlecracker

A CMS will give you lots of functionality for little effort.

What you are suggesting is something that noone or very few has
done (among other things because it is non portable) and will
most likely require a huge effort on your part.

Arne

Well currently store that content into database.