How to delete an application from Tomcat?

elektrophyte

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.9 on Windows 2000, and IntelliJ IDEA. I started
getting "no suitable driver" errors. (The driver --
mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin.jar -- is present in "C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\common\lib". It's also in
my webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.)

I decided to clear my app out of Tomcat and redeploy it fresh. That's
worked before to solve the driver problem.

Shut down Tomcat, deleted "TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\agenda". I noticed that
there is also "TOMCAT_HOME\work\Catalina\localhost\agenda" and I
deleted that to.

Restarted Tomcat and my app "agenda" shows up in the listing in the
Tomcat manager. How is that possible? How can I get rid of it? Do I
need to reinstall Tomcat? Do I need to replace the entire computer?

The app shows up in the listing but clicking on the name returns a 404
error. Clicking on "start" returns "FAIL - Application at context path
/agenda could not be started" and clicking on "undeploy" returns "OK -
Undeployed application at context path /agenda".

The app has reappeared in "TOMCAT_HOME\work\Catalina\localhost\agenda".

Thanks,

Alan Krueger

elektrophyte said:
Restarted Tomcat and my app "agenda" shows up in the listing in the
Tomcat manager. How is that possible? How can I get rid of it? Do I
need to reinstall Tomcat? Do I need to replace the entire computer?

Try editing the server.xml to remove it, or undeploy it from the Tomcat
manager.

James Yong

Hi,

elektrophyte said:
I'm using Tomcat 5.5.9 on Windows 2000, and IntelliJ IDEA. I started
getting "no suitable driver" errors. (The driver --
mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin.jar -- is present in "C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\common\lib". It's also in
my webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.)
You probably should put the driver in javasdk/jre/lib/ext folder.
I decided to clear my app out of Tomcat and redeploy it fresh. That's
worked before to solve the driver problem.

Shut down Tomcat, deleted "TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\agenda". I noticed that
there is also "TOMCAT_HOME\work\Catalina\localhost\agenda" and I
deleted that to.
It should ne easier to just go to the Tomcat Manager and "undeploy" it. Note
if the app is residing in the tomcat/webapps folder, the whole folder will
be deleted.
Restarted Tomcat and my app "agenda" shows up in the listing in the
Tomcat manager. How is that possible? How can I get rid of it? Do I
need to reinstall Tomcat? Do I need to replace the entire computer?
There is no need to reinstall Tomcat. Look also at
tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost folder.
The app shows up in the listing but clicking on the name returns a 404
error. Clicking on "start" returns "FAIL - Application at context path
/agenda could not be started" and clicking on "undeploy" returns "OK -
Undeployed application at context path /agenda".
Because the actual location of the app has been deleted.
The app has reappeared in "TOMCAT_HOME\work\Catalina\localhost\agenda".
This folder is for Tomcat to put the compiled jsp file.

Thanks,

Regards,
James Yong

elektrophyte

As mentioned in my post, I did undeploy it from the Tomcat manager.

Edit server.xml?? There's nothing regarding the app in that file.
Should there be?

My question is, if I delete all app related directories from the Tomcat
hierarchy, how does it show up in the Tomcat manager application
listing after I restart Tomcat? Where is the residue of this
application hanging on?

elektrophyte

Thanks for the reply.

James Yong wrote:
(The driver --
You probably should put the driver in javasdk/jre/lib/ext folder.

I'll give that a try. There seem to be many different opinions about
where jar files go in Tomcat. That's one. I've also heard...
WEB-INF\lib
TOMCAT_HOME\common\lib
TOMCAT_HOME\common\endorsed
There's also a "TOMCAT_HOME\shared" directory in the disribution that
looks pretty enticing.
It should ne easier to just go to the Tomcat Manager and "undeploy" it. Note
if the app is residing in the tomcat/webapps folder, the whole folder will
be deleted.

Tried that (see original post).
There is no need to reinstall Tomcat. Look also at
tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost folder.

Nothing related to my application is in that directory. What is
supposed to be found there?

Thanks,

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Karl_=D8ie?=

elektrophyte said:
Nothing related to my application is in that directory. What is
supposed to be found there?

There are three ways webapps can reside in tomcat:

defined in : conf/server.xml

defined in an xml file in tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/

or as a folder or a .war file in tomcat/webapps

btw : Have you tried to kill the cache? shutdown, delete all content in
tomcat/work and restart

Karl Øie

James Yong

elektrophyte said:
As mentioned in my post, I did undeploy it from the Tomcat manager.

Edit server.xml?? There's nothing regarding the app in that file.
Should there be?

My question is, if I delete all app related directories from the Tomcat
hierarchy, how does it show up in the Tomcat manager application
listing after I restart Tomcat? Where is the residue of this
application hanging on?
Maybe you can do a word search on the tomcat folder, that relates to your
application, to look for the "residues".

elektrophyte

There are three ways webapps can reside in tomcat:
defined in : conf/server.xml

defined in an xml file in tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/

or as a folder or a .war file in tomcat/webapps

btw : Have you tried to kill the cache? shutdown, delete all content in
tomcat/work and restart

Karl Øie

If you mean restart Tomcat then yes, I did try that. I didn't try
restarting the machine.

I'm accustomed to copying my webapp as an expanded directory into
TOMCAT_HOME/webapps. The app is "defined" (if I understand you
correctly) in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/CONTEXT_PATH/WEB-INF/web.xml.