How to detect insertion of USB drive on Solaris 10 box?

Saqib Ali

Hi

I'm working on a SunOS 5.10 box.
I'm inserting a USB flash-drive into the USB port.

I would like to know how to detect the insertion of this device and
how to mount it so that I can read/write to it.

Could someone please advise?

As a secondary task, I would like to do the above purely in C++
without making any system calls. Any advice on that subject would also
be appreciated.

- Saqib

Ian Collins

Hi

I'm working on a SunOS 5.10 box.
I'm inserting a USB flash-drive into the USB port.

I would like to know how to detect the insertion of this device and
how to mount it so that I can read/write to it.

Could someone please advise?

Try com.unix.solaris.
As a secondary task, I would like to do the above purely in C++
without making any system calls. Any advice on that subject would also
be appreciated.

You can't, unless you keep trying to open the device filesystem in a
polling loop.