How to determine if a Motorola phone is Java enabled - and loadMIDlet ?

cpptutor2000

I am new to J2ME midlet development and deployment, although I have
worked extensively with J2EE in the recent past. I have developed a
simple J2ME application using JRE/JDK 1.4.2_16 and Sun Microsystems
Wireless Toolkit 2.2 . It works perfectly well in the emulator, and I
want to now upload it to a Motorola phone.

My first question is - how do I determine if Java is installed on the
Motorola phone? Then, other than OTA/WAP methods, is there any other
way to load the MIDlet - specifically, does Motorola supply any
special software to achieve this ?

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks in
advance for your help.