How to determine whether client and server are on the same host

Malte Forkel

Hi,

I have a Python application that communicates with a server via telnet.
Host and port of the server are supplied by the user when the
application is started.

How can I determine from within the application whether the server's
host actually is the local host? (In that case I could implement an
operation not available in the telnet-based protocol by directly
accessing the local filesystem.)

Sounds like there should be an obvious solution. Unfortunately, I
haven't found it yet :)

Malte

Ad