How to ensure Maximize button shows in Linux/Unix (Tkinter)

Harlin Seritt

I have a tkinter program that shows the 'maximize' button while running
on Windows but not in Linux. Is there a way to make it show in Linux?

Thanks,

Harlin Seritt

Diez B. Roggisch

Harlin said:
I have a tkinter program that shows the 'maximize' button while running
on Windows but not in Linux. Is there a way to make it show in Linux?

On linux (or X-Windows in general) the windowdecorations (which maximize is
a part of) are managed by the windowmanager, not the graphical toolkit
itself. What windowmanager do you use? If I remember one could get access
to the wm using tk and maybe then manipulate some settings.

Harlin Seritt

Diez,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am running this under KDE. I actually
haven't tried doing so under any other wm for the moment. Any ideas how
to get it to show in KDE?

Thanks,

Harlin Seritt

Diez B. Roggisch

Harlin said:
Diez,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am running this under KDE. I actually
haven't tried doing so under any other wm for the moment. Any ideas how
to get it to show in KDE?

I also run kde, and it shows that maximze-button. I've no idea why that
doesn't work for you. Is it a root-window or some other toplevel window?

Eric Brunel

Diez,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am running this under KDE. I actually
haven't tried doing so under any other wm for the moment. Any ideas how
to get it to show in KDE?

This is a tk bug; see:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=922336&group_id=12997&atid=112997
and:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=915350&group_id=12997&atid=112997

The latest tcl/tk 8.4 release may solve the problem, and a patch is provided for the second bug report if you don't want to upgrade.

HTH