How to get columns in nested datagrids to line up?

edgarecayce

I would like to implement a drill-down report using the ASP.NET
datagrid. From what I have read online, a way to do this is to have a
user control that implements the second-level data when you drill down
from the first level. This user control would be passed some info
about what row it is representing and would implement a second datagrid
that would be nested in the first one.

The outer grid's EditItemTemplate would contain the user control for
the inner nested grid, so when you click the "Edit" link (which would
say "Details" or be a plus or something) the inner grid is displayed
giving detail info.

This seems like it would work fine if the inner columns were
independant from the outer-level columns. However, some of the columns
need to line up - the numbers which are summed and summarized in the
top-level grid need to line up with the numbers in the inner grid when
you drill-down.

If you use absolute values for column widths this MIGHT work sometimes
but, now always. Anyone have any ideas?

Ed