How to handle registered window messages in Java

gwlucas07

I'm working with a Java application running on an HP TouchSmart
computer. So far, I have been using the conventional Java API to
handle user touch-events (touching the screen is mapped to a mouse
button 1 press, etc). This approach is straightforward and helps keep
my application pure Java, but as far as I can tell Java doesn't yet
offer any kind of API for handling two-finger interactions (such as
the pinch interaction). Although I know that it is handled in
Google's Android OS for handheld devices, the TouchSmart is a Windows
machine and nothing like that appears to be available.

Anyway, the TouchSmart can communicate touch interactions to programs
using registered window messages. So I am looking into making my
application handle input in that manner. Does anyone have suggestions
about the best way of doing this? Is there anything in Java that
would support it directly? Am I going to have to resort to a JNI
implementation? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gary