How to hide the real file name in the URL?

gnewsgroup

I see u guys talking about url rewriting, and then I came across
www.actioncarting.com, where no page seem to have an extension
like .aspx, .html, .shtml, .asp, .jsp, .php. Is this trick so-called
URL rewriting? I would like to learn this little trick. Thank you.

gnewsgroup

Mark said:
No trick. All they're doing is specifying a folder rather than a file. This
way, ASP.NET / IIS will search for a "default" document and use one if it
exists:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=IIS+default+document

Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?

BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello gnewsgroup,

if you look on their site stucture, u will see that they have the different
url for each page, which could means that all pages are just index.aspx or
default.aspx . Actually I checked into Fiddler and it's php pages.

so, if u type /index.php in the end of url in will open you the same page,
but not the index2.php

---
WBR,

g> Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
g> g> Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
g> retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
g> folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?
g>
g> BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.
g>

gnewsgroup

g> Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
g>g> Thank you. I also thought that they are simply letting the web server
g> retrieve the pre-defined default file. But, then only one file per
g> folder will be retrieved. Isn't that too troublesome?
g>
g> BTW, how do u tell it is not URL rewriting? Thanks again.
g>

That's what I thought, but dismissed it bec'z I think it is too
troublesome to have to create one folder per file.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello gnewsgroup,

Why not?! they dont have a big structure.
it's about 10-15 pages

---
WBR,

g> That's what I thought, but dismissed it bec'z I think it is too
g> troublesome to have to create one folder per file.
g>