How to identify the exe file associated with core dump

mthread

Hi,
We have multiple applications(C & C++) running in our system. When
a core dump is generated we did not know which application caused the
core dump. Is there a way to find the application name from the core
dump file. Kindly help me on this issue.

Philip Pemberton

Hi,
We have multiple applications(C & C++) running in our system. When
a core dump is generated we did not know which application caused the
core dump. Is there a way to find the application name from the core
dump file. Kindly help me on this issue.

Assuming this is on a *nix system of some description:
$ file core

Or possibly:
$ gdb core

(But this is more an OS-specific question, not a C++ question)

Richard Herring

In message
Hi,
We have multiple applications(C & C++) running in our system. When
a core dump is generated we did not know which application caused the
core dump. Is there a way to find the application name from the core
dump file. Kindly help me on this issue.
This has nothing to do with C++ (or C): your question would be identical
if the applications were written in Fortran or COBOL.. You're more
likely to get a useful response by asking in a newsgroup that deals with
your particular operating system.

James Kanze

In message
This has nothing to do with C++ (or C): your question would be
identical if the applications were written in Fortran or
COBOL.. You're more likely to get a useful response by asking
in a newsgroup that deals with your particular operating
system.

That's true, but there's a rather obvious answer (which is valid
for all systems---and all languages): the core dump is from the
program which crashed; i.e. which didn't finish its job.

Jorgen Grahn

[Linux kernel patch which lets you control the core dump file name]

Interesting, but in a way not helpful: since the core dump already
contains the process name, making the file name contain it too adds no
information.

Even more offtopic: I find naming core files counter-productive in
practice. If your software is broken and tends to crash, named core
dumps will eventually make someone decide to *disable* core dumps, to
avoid filling the disk. And then you are stuck with no information at
all for your C++ debugging sessions.

/Jorgen