how to place javascript in the addressbar !~!!!

Mel

If you go to website: http://beta.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=TradingHaltHistory

you will notice a bunch of dates (linked via ajax). What I would like
to do is to be able to see what is click clicked on after say
"December 28.2007" link.

the site actually does:

<dd><a onclick="GetTradingHaltsforDay('20071228')" style='cursor:
pointer;'>December 28, 2007</a></dd>

how can i get the screen corresponding to above GetTradingHaltsforDay
click ?

please help

Lee

Mel said:
If you go to website:
http://beta.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=TradingHaltHistory

you will notice a bunch of dates (linked via ajax). What I would like
to do is to be able to see what is click clicked on after say
"December 28.2007" link.

the site actually does:

<dd><a onclick="GetTradingHaltsforDay('20071228')" style='cursor:
pointer;'>December 28, 2007</a></dd>

how can i get the screen corresponding to above GetTradingHaltsforDay
click ?

Can you restate your question so that it makes sense?

First, your subject line asks how to place script in the addressbar,
which doesn't seem to make any sense at all and doesn't seem to
be related to the contents of your message.

Then you ask to "be able to see what is click clicked on after say
'December 28.2007' link." Gibberish aside, what do you mean by
"be able to see what is ... clicked on"? Are you asking for the
URL from which content is being loaded?

Later you ask "how can i get the screen". What does it mean to
you to "get a screen?"

Anthony Levensalor

Mel posted :
you will notice a bunch of dates (linked via ajax).

Linked via ajax? What does that mean?

<dd><a onclick="GetTradingHaltsforDay('20071228')" style='cursor:
pointer;'>December 28, 2007</a></dd>

You can execute most javascript on the current page with a javaswcript:
protocol prefix, but it's sketchy at best, and I've only tried it in
firefox. I do not think that's a good solution, but it seems to address
your desire to call a function from the address bar.

how can i get the screen corresponding to above GetTradingHaltsforDay
click ?

Click on the link is a good start.

~A!
--
Anthony Levensalor
(e-mail address removed)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Mel

Mel posted :

Linked via ajax? What does that mean?

You can execute most javascript on the current page with a javaswcript:
protocol prefix, but it's sketchy at best, and I've only tried it in
firefox. I do not think that's a good solution, but it seems to address
your desire to call a function from the address bar.

Click on the link is a good start.

~A!
--
Anthony Levensalor
(e-mail address removed)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

THE BIG IDEA IS to be able to see the screen that I want, but putting
SOMETHING in the address bar. FYI when site uses Ajax, the ADDRESS BAR
DOES NOT CHANGE, therefore the URL is hidding from user.

HOW CAN I put :javascript on top of http://beta.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=TradingHaltHistory
link in the address bar ?

Mel

Mel posted :

Linked via ajax? What does that mean?

You can execute most javascript on the current page with a javaswcript:
protocol prefix, but it's sketchy at best, and I've only tried it in
firefox. I do not think that's a good solution, but it seems to address
your desire to call a function from the address bar.

Click on the link is a good start.

~A!
--
Anthony Levensalor
(e-mail address removed)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Please CLICK on http://beta.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=TradingHaltHistory
and see for yourself

shimmyshack

Please CLICK onhttp://beta.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=TradingHaltHistory
and see for yourself- Hide quoted text -

you could use the fragment identifier
#
it doesnt have any effect but does help the reader to see whats going
on. You can detect it and use the value to change the view, much like
gmail.

shimmyshack

Mel said:

Oh, I see.  You're asking how you can navigate to a web site and then
activate a Javascript function to trigger an AJAX call to load the
data that you want to see.

You can't do that.

It would probably a violation of the license to use the
NASDAQ web site, anyway.

--

you can just put
javascript:function('argument');

David Mark

THE BIG IDEA IS to be able to see the screen that I want, but putting
SOMETHING in the address bar. FYI when site uses Ajax, the ADDRESS BAR
DOES NOT CHANGE, therefore the URL is hidding from user.

Will you stop shouting? Anyway, this is not a big idea. You designed
your site to use Ajax for basic navigation, which is a silly thing to
do.

BTW, you are not serving XHTML, so why are you using an XHTML
doctype? Also, your markup is invalid (and very strange), your menus
are inaccessible and just tabbing through the page threw a script
error in "utilities.js."

Furthermore, the links in the definition list (?) that make up the
side menu are useless without script. That is a completely
incompetent design.

You should get rid of the ton of inline script that is weighing the
page down and try navigating without Ajax. I doubt you will be able
to tell much of a difference. One bonus is that when you click one of
the bottom "definitions" in the side menu, the content presented will
be visible without scrolling up to see it. I clicked several of those
and figured they were broken until I happened to scroll back to the
top and see the list had changed.

Of course, you won't be able to say you have an "Ajax site" anymore,
but your users won't care. On the contrary, they will probably be
grateful that they can use their browser's navigation and favorites
features normally. If you feel you absolutely must use Ajax for
something, a stock ticker would seem appropriate for this site.

Whatever you do, do NOT use the location hash and timers to simulate
normal navigation.

Lee

shimmyshack said:
you can just put
javascript:function('argument');
in the address bar and press enter.

That won't do what he's asking to do: navigate to the web page and then
execute a function, all as one operation.

Mel

shimmyshack said:

That won't do what he's asking to do:  navigate to the web page and then
execute a function, all as one operation.

Guys cool down. THAT IS NOT MY SITE ANYWAY !!!!
I used to extract data via urls that are no longer available. THATS
all !!!!
I did not design the site or had anything to do with it. I HATE is as
much as you guys, but my company requires grabing data from various
sites and THAT was one of them.

If you have any suggestion on how to grab such data, please help

shimmyshack

Guys cool down. THAT IS NOT MY SITE ANYWAY !!!!
I used to extract data via urls that are no longer available. THATS
all !!!!
I did not design the site or had anything to do with it. I HATE is as
much as you guys, but my company requires grabing data from various
sites and THAT was one of them.

If you have any suggestion on how to grab such data, please help- Hide quoted text -

if the site still has the data on it, then use a server side scripting
language to login if needed and grab it, cant see the issue here
really. If you DO need javascript then use some greasemonkey,
piggybank/solvent/chickenfoot script, running in firefox and sending
the data to a server you control to save the data to db. I think your
need is easy to fulfil provided the data still exists even at a new
url. I dont see the need for javascript though myself, unless you have
a url in mind, and a function in mind, in which case you dont need
anyone's help here.

Mel

Melsaid the following on 1/1/2008 11:13 AM:

I wondered from the beginning if that is what you were after was the
what clicking on a link would do. I just chose not to even guess as you
weren't real clear on what you were wanting. To answer you, without
parsing the page you won't know.

Ahh, content stealing. Novel idea.

So you actively work for a company that forces you to steal content?
What a novel idea.

I do. But, I won't post on how to steal content.
--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

FYI ALL HONEST PEOPLE, that is a public web site that is new and they
have not yet provided an API for. The old website had a clear API that
many many companies are using, just same as you would use Yahoo
Finance to get delayed stock quotes which I AM SURE YOU WOULD ALSO
LABEL STEALING.

Please Please spare me. If you dont know the answer, just leave the
question be !!!!

HERE IS the old website: http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/asp/TradeHaltHistoryFile.asp?file=th12282007.stm
and AS YOU CAN SEEEEEEEEEEE, it is public and NO STEALIING COMMITED.
and until the provide an alternative, I will have to find a solution

THANKS for ALL your HELP

Anthony Levensalor

Mel said:

HERE IS the old website: http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/asp/TradeHaltHistoryFile.asp?file=th12282007.stm
and AS YOU CAN SEEEEEEEEEEE, it is public and NO STEALIING COMMITED.
and until the provide an alternative, I will have to find a solution

THANKS for ALL your HELP

Just because you press caps lock, it doesn't really mean you're
shouting. It just makes you look dumb.

Accordingly, you can put as many capital E's on a word as you like, and
still no one is all that interested in your tone. If I were you, I would
concentrate first on making a clear and legible sentence before I
started abusing capital letters.

~A!

Lee

Mel said:
FYI ALL HONEST PEOPLE, that is a public web site that is new and they
have not yet provided an API for.

If you expect them to provide an API when they're ready to
share, why waste your time trying to code a temporary hack
that's bound to be unreliable (even if it was possible)
while the site is still under development?