How to post data to a different domain and recieve a response

Julia

Hi,
I have a web application running inside an organization
and I need to post some data to an asp page sitting outside the organization

How do I get failure or success error from the outside page?
currently I am using IFrame,but I wonder if I get 404(server down) how do I
know I go an error?

BTW:since it is an organization i am open to other solution,cause i might be
able to install
activx,NET components or any other stuff.

Thanks in advance

McKirahan

Julia said:
Hi,
I have a web application running inside an organization
and I need to post some data to an asp page sitting outside the organization

How do I get failure or success error from the outside page?
currently I am using IFrame,but I wonder if I get 404(server down) how do I
know I go an error?

BTW:since it is an organization i am open to other solution,cause i might be
able to install
activx,NET components or any other stuff.

Thanks in advance

What does the outside ASP page do?

Could you be more specific?

Is ts like using a <form> on another site?

Here's an example of doing a reverse phone number lookup:

<head>
<title>lookup.htm</title>
</head>
<form action="http://www22.verizon.com/utilities/reverselookup/"
method="get" name="ypform">
<input type="hidden" name="process" value="yes">
<input type="hidden" name="A2" value="718">
<input type="hidden" name="X3" value="257">
<input type="hidden" name="P2" value="4956">
</form>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.ypform.submit();
</script>

This returns a page with the result whether the number is found or not.

Julia

The outside page act like a webservice,it update a record in the data base
and return success or failed

McKirahan

Julia said:
The outside page act like a webservice,it update a record in the data base
and return success or failed

[snip]

We still need more information.

Is it a public page that we can look at?

How is it invoked? By a URL, form (get or post), or ?

How does it "return success or failed"?

Julia

I didn't write it yet,
it can return whatever I like
1.a text string("true","false")
2.XML document
3...

"How is it invoked? By a URL, form (get or post), or ?"

In general what I am looking for is something similar to webservice,but
since webservice cannot
called cross domain I cannot use the HTC webservice

Thanks.

Julia said:
I didn't write it yet,
it can return whatever I like
1.a text string("true","false")
2.XML document
3...

"How is it invoked? By a URL, form (get or post), or ?"

In general what I am looking for is something similar to webservice,but
since webservice cannot
called cross domain I cannot use the HTC webservice

Thanks.

[snip]

Would you describe your intended processing in more detail?

For example,

a) User fills out form and clicks "submit"
b) Form data is validated on the client and invokes a page in another
domain
c) Page on other domain attempts to update a database table with the form
data and returns a status code\

If something like the above, what happens on the calling page during and
after the call to the other page?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Julia said:
Hi,
I have a web application running inside an organization
and I need to post some data to an asp page sitting outside the
organization

How do I get failure or success error from the outside page?
currently I am using IFrame,but I wonder if I get 404(server down)
how do I know I go an error?

BTW:since it is an organization i am open to other solution,cause i
might be able to install
activx,NET components or any other stuff.

Thanks in advance

You can use XMLHTTPRequest in your client-side code (or ServerXMLHTTPRequest
in your server-side code). Google should provide some information about
this. If you are asking how to do this in the client, then follow-ups should
be posted in a client-side scripting newsgroup such as one of the .scripting
groups, or one of the groups with "dhtml" in their names.

Bob Barrows

Bill Puetz

Julia,

Here's an excellent component for doing what you want, and much more:

http://dart.com/powertcp/webenterprise.asp

I've only been using it for a short time, but both the product and tech
support have been outstanding. I needed a robust way to handle gift card
transactions, and WET fits the bill perfectly. I have no connection to
Dart, other than being a happy customer.

Regards,

Bill