How to set the java heap space in IntelliJ 5.1 ?!

Pixelschubser

Hi @ all,

I've got a big problem, and i hope to find some answers here :)

Actually i am trying zu read an Excel-file in Java. That works quit
good, until the file is not too big. I've got a 3 MB Excel file, and it
does not work.

At this point:
HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
i get an error message:eek:rg.apache.jasper.JasperException: Java heap
space

So i treid to configure my heap-settings, but i don't know how. In the
IntelliJ manual stands, that i have to click on preferences, but there
is not such an icon anywhere on the screen.

I really don't know what to do. Has anyone an idea ?
Thx a lot.

Regards
Andi

Bart Cremers

You got two options:

- Select "Edit Configurations" in the "Run" menu and add -Xms and -Xmx
options to the VM
parameters field in the configuration used to run the program.

- Go to the bin directory of your intellij installation
(C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 5.1\bin) and alter the
idea.exe.vmoptions file.
Simply open it in a text editor and increase the sizes.

Bart

Pixelschubser

Bart said:
You got two options:

- Select "Edit Configurations" in the "Run" menu and add -Xms and -Xmx
options to the VM
parameters field in the configuration used to run the program.

- Go to the bin directory of your intellij installation
(C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 5.1\bin) and alter the
idea.exe.vmoptions file.
Simply open it in a text editor and increase the sizes.

Bart

Hi Bart,
Thx a lot - that was a great answer, but it does not work :)
But why not ?

Have i any possibilitys to watch why i get this error ?

regards
Andi

Bart Cremers

I'm not sure on why it gives that error and I've got to little info to
work on. 3MB doesn't seem to big. It looks like while reading the file
a lot of objects are created and probably some of them should become
available for garbage collection during the read.

Run it using the debugger or look for a profiler to check what's going
on in memory while you run the progam.

Regards,

Bart