how to share authentication cookie between ASP 3.0 and ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ntran005, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. ntran005

    ntran005 Guest

    Hi
    I have a new ASP.NET 2.0 web site installed side by side with existing
    ASP 3.0 web sites, each under a different domain, like this:

    https://dotnetapp.mycompany.com
    https://app1.mycompany.com
    https://portal.mycompany.com

    The 'portal' application handles authentication and sets a cookie when
    the user successfully logged on. It was a legacy application written
    in ASP 3.0.

    How do I access that authentcation cookie from under the ASP.NET
    application ?

    Inside the event handler FormsAuthentication_OnAuthenticate(), I have
    the following code, but the cookie is always null:

    HttpCookie authCookie =
    Context.Request.Cookies["MY_SECURITY_SESSIONID"];

    What am I missing ?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Nghia

    ntran005, Jan 30, 2007

  2. ntran005

    Guest Guest

    There are a number of "Funky" workarounds for this but your main problem here
    is that cookies are domain-specific. That means, "no cookie". Try munging
    something encrypted onto the querystrings or some other method.
    Peter

    Guest, Jan 30, 2007