HOWTO: Refer to LoginStatus control contents in the LoginView cont

Guest

How do you get a reference to the LoginStatus control contained in the
LoginView control that resides on web.master?

I need to determine if the LoginStatus will show a LogOut link(for a logged
in user), or show nothing at all (in the case of the user not logged in);

Are there any other Membership properties that I can call that tell if the
user has already authenticated.?

Guest

Thanks. I don't know how I overlooked that.

The purpose for trying to do this is to declare Windows Authentication on
IIS Directory Security in order to get Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
to pass the NT Login Name, and to declare Forms Authentication in the website
web.config file in order to use the Membership functionality that's built in.
The last piece to figure out is to allow a NT Logged In user to not have to
enter a user name and password to get to the site; they've already logged in
to their workstation when they came to work in the morning.

The Login Control on Login.aspx has style="display:none" and I immediately
do a client-side javascript Login button click which fires the OnAuthenticate
event where I can set e.Authenticated to true - this sets up all the
background authentication. On the initial visit to the site, I do a
Membership.CreateUser (I have the username from
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") from which I can also build an email
address, and can set everyone's password to a constant), and a
Roles.AddUserToRole, and persist the authentication cookie. Subsequent visits
bypass the Login.aspx due to the auth cookie and go directly to the Home page.

.... a lot of rigmarole to get an effect.

--
Thank you kindly,

Dan Sikorsky BA, BSCE, MCS