I am having problems installing PDL using CPAN

Jeff Silverman

I am running Perl 5.8.0 on a RedHat 9 machine (2.4.20-20.9smp #1
Kernel). I am trying to install PDL using CPAN. So, as root, I give
the command

perl -MCPAN -e shell

and then the subcommant

install PDL.

So then it generates lots and lots of messages about things going well,
and then it says:

* Gentle warning from PDL::IO::Misc: *

Hmmm. You don't appear to have the Astro::FITS::Header module installed.
You'll be able to read and write FITS files anyway, but FITS support is
greatly improved if you install it.

You can get the latest Astro::FITS::Header module from CPAN --
point your browser at http://www.cpan.org.

Makefile:93: *** missing separator. Stop.
/usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

cpan>

If I go into the /root/.cpan/build/PDL-2.4.0 and run

perl Makefile.PL

then it creates a makefile, but when I give the command

make

make ends immediately, saying Makefile:93: *** missing separator. Stop.
So I looked at the makefile and there is something weird at line 93.
Here is an excerpt from the Makefile:

INSTALLBIN = /usr/bin'
installhtml1dir=''
installhtml3dir=''
installman1
INSTALLSITEBIN = /usr
INSTALLVENDORBIN = /usr/bin'
installvendorhtml1=''
installvendorhtml3=''
installvendorlib='/u
INSTALLSCRIPT = /usr/bin
PERL_LIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
PERL_ARCHLIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
SITELIBEXP = '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl'
sit
SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/pe
LIBPERL_A = libperl.a'
libc='

I don't see any setting the perldl.conf file. Any other ideas, please?

Many thanks,

Jeff