i feel suffocate!!! plz help, you C guru!!!

Ethan Meyers

I have problem in finding the right C programming guide book! There
are much enough C++ or so called OOP materials on web and bookstore.
But, when you open the Quake2, Quake3 sources, you will find its 100%
Ansi C(except for Spline in Q3). You even couldn't compile ref_soft
project in Q2 as C++ code correctly. John Carmack release the source,
but it seems too difficult to our beginners.
I ask you C lovers and gurus to give any advice for how to improve C
programming skill.
Any open source project using C that you will recommend?
How to analyse and understand a large-scale project like Quake?
How to structure a large-scale app?
Any web or book that you have read and get inspired?

Randy Howard

Ethan Meyers wrote
(in article
I have problem in finding the right C programming guide book! There
are much enough C++ or so called OOP materials on web and bookstore.
But, when you open the Quake2, Quake3 sources, you will find its 100%
Ansi C(except for Spline in Q3).

Given what it does, I would be somewhat surprised to discover
that it is in 100% ANSI C. I suspect that if you try to compile
it with
gcc -Wall -O2 -ansi -pedantic

it will cough up blood.
You even couldn't compile ref_soft
project in Q2 as C++ code correctly. John Carmack release the source,
but it seems too difficult to our beginners.

Most high-end video game programming is too difficult for
beginners. Why not start off with something more reasonable?
I ask you C lovers and gurus to give any advice for how to improve C
programming skill.

Do it. Daily. For years. Read the CLC FAQ, read this
newsgroup.

Rinse, repeat.
Any open source project using C that you will recommend?

Lots of them are quite good, but I can't think of any offhand
that particular "good for beginners".
How to analyse and understand a large-scale project like Quake?

You can't inject knowledge and experience into the arm at your
next doctor appointment.
How to structure a large-scale app?

Try comp.programming if you want to debate that one, but there
are lots of opinions, and no clear winner has emerged.

Ethan Meyers

Randy Howard 写é“:

Given what it does, I would be somewhat surprised to discover
that it is in 100% ANSI C. I suspect that if you try to compile
it with
gcc -Wall -O2 -ansi -pedantic

it will cough up blood.

What i mean is Quake was written in C way. Saying "it is 100% ANSI C"
may be wrong.
Most high-end video game programming is too difficult for
beginners. Why not start off with something more reasonable?

I have tried. It seems that the book available are all about the
primary introduction to DirctX, or OpenGL. I didn't get much of those
API-based introduction.
Do it. Daily. For years. Read the CLC FAQ, read this
newsgroup.

Rinse, repeat.

I will try. Thanks