I want to grab the url of the previous page from the current page

Discussion in '.NET' started by [email protected], Jul 24, 2008.

  1. jojupi01@yahoo.com

    [email protected]

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Method 1
    If Not Request.UrlReferrer.ToString() Is Nothing Then
    Label1.Text = Request.UrlReferrer.AbsoluteUri.ToString()
    Else
    Label1.Text = "default url"
    End If

    Method 2
    If Not Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") Is Nothing Then
    Label1.Text = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    Else
    Label1.Text = "default url"
    End If

    There are 2 aspx pages page1.aspx and page2.aspx. Page1 has a hyperlink which is linked to Page2 and page 2
    has a label control
    which displays the url of the previous page. I want to get the url of the previous page from the current page.
    I tried using the above given method.
    Both methods work fine but when i go to page2(pasting the url in page2 directly without clicking the page1 hyperlink) directly when using method 1 i get the exception message
    "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    But when i use method 2 and go to page 2 directly its works fine. Please tell me which is the best
    possible way to do this and if there is any other way of doing this please let
    me know. I want to grab the url of the previous page from the current page.

    [email protected], Jul 24, 2008