Identifying mobile phones / cellphones

The Eclectic Electric

My site, www.listyblue.com, renders rather haphazardly when I view it with
my mobile phone. I'd like to serve a different stylesheet, or maybe no
stylesheet for devices with limited screen space. Is it possible to
identify these devices accurately? I know browser detection is a big no-no,
but if www.bbc.co.uk can serve up a separate site for mobile content then I
assume there's some reasonably safe way of doing this.

+e

Gernot Frisch

The Eclectic Electric said:
My site, www.listyblue.com, renders rather haphazardly when I view
it with my mobile phone. I'd like to serve a different stylesheet,
or maybe no stylesheet for devices with limited screen space. Is it
possible to identify these devices accurately? I know browser
detection is a big no-no, but if www.bbc.co.uk can serve up a
separate site for mobile content then I assume there's some
reasonably safe way of doing this.

Javascript / Screensize?

Jonathan N. Little

The said:
My site, www.listyblue.com, renders rather haphazardly when I view it with
my mobile phone. I'd like to serve a different stylesheet, or maybe no
stylesheet for devices with limited screen space. Is it possible to
identify these devices accurately? I know browser detection is a big no-no,
but if www.bbc.co.uk can serve up a separate site for mobile content then I
assume there's some reasonably safe way of doing this.

+e

<LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA="handheld" HREF="foo.css">

The Eclectic Electric

Jonathan N. Little said:
<LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA="handheld" HREF="foo.css">

You're a star. Thank you.

I've had great trouble googling this sort of information. I must be asking
the wrong questions, but you'd think there'd be a mass of information out
there about this these days.

+e

Jonathan N. Little

The said:
I've had great trouble googling this sort of information. I must be asking
the wrong questions, but you'd think there'd be a mass of information out
there about this these days.

How to ask the "right" question is a skill that alludes many, ample
evidence in this NG ;-)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
How to ask the "right" question is a skill that alludes many, ample
evidence in this NG ;-)

Okay, how do I get rich and still have plenty of time to loaf and goof off
without doing anything criminal? PS: I don't wanna work too hard when I'm
working, either.

dorayme

How to ask the "right" question is a skill that alludes many, ample
evidence in this NG ;-)

Okay, how do I get rich and still have plenty of time to loaf and goof off
without doing anything criminal?[/QUOTE]

Good question,

Straightforward reply now possible:

You don't.