IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:42:41
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
As close as possible to the bottom of the image, in the usual caption
location. :)

Of course I saw it! And I read it. The only trouble is that I can't
remember what it said in relation to what we are discussing. For that
matter, I can't remember what we were discussing as regards to what we
are discussing. I live for the moment, -not historical significance.
Swim. Eat. Look back with satifaction on evolution. We covered
that.

I meant in a professional capacity. Or are you a confirmed amateur?
I certainly hope you got the "eary" pun there. I live for pun groans.

....And I hope you got the sup-eary-er one. :)
Speaking of superior, a Canadian buddy sent me (a USan) this a long
time ago, eh?

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/ontop.jpg

Canadians always try harder because most of the world forgets they're
there. Not long ago I was vacationing in Terra del Fuego and asked for
some Canadian beer at the resort bar. The bartender hesitated then
replied very apologetically, "I'm sorry, sir, we only have bottles."

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:42:41
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

I meant in a professional capacity. Or are you a confirmed amateur?

I don't do politics at any level. Professionally, I'm a TV cameraman.
Canadians always try harder because most of the world forgets they're
there. Not long ago I was vacationing in Terra del Fuego and asked for
some Canadian beer at the resort bar. The bartender hesitated then
replied very apologetically, "I'm sorry, sir, we only have bottles."

:)

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:52:10 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
I don't do politics at any level. Professionally, I'm a TV cameraman.

In Zoltan Korda's 1942 movie "The Jungle Book" there was dialogue about
like this:

Girl: What are the monkeys saying?

Mowgli: The monkey people say what the monkey people always say. "We,
the monkey people, are the greatest people in the world. We know this
is true because we always say it is true so therefore it must be true."

Kinda reminds me of the official shark stance on evolution...

So, as a TV cameraman, do you willingly bear your share of responsibility
for the crap that's on TV?

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
So, as a TV cameraman, do you willingly bear your share of
responsibility for the crap that's on TV?

I do my craft; I earn my pay; I cash my check. You're welcome to your
opinions on what you like and don't like, but they don't interest me.

John W. Kennedy

The said:
I should have thought that was obvious.

HTML was designed from the start as a subset of SGML that would permit
lax coding of tags

Clarification: SGML (and GML before it) always allowed lax coding.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The pathetic hope that the White House will turn a Caligula into a

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:48:04 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
I do my craft; I earn my pay; I cash my check. You're welcome to your
opinions on what you like and don't like, but they don't interest me.

Er, too close to home, eh? Okay, I'll lay off.

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 27 Nov 2007
21:48:04 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Er, too close to home, eh? Okay, I'll lay off.

I know plenty of TV haters. That's okay. :)

But let me ask this. As a camera op here in Hollywood, I consider
myself a blue collar worker. I'm a member of the International
Cinematographer's Guild. My grandfather was a tool and die maker; I
consider my camera the equivalent of his tools. Different era,
different product, different unions. Both skilled craftsmen. So. If
you hated all cars, would you honestly feel that their design were the
fault of the guys on those assembly lines?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
I know plenty of TV haters. That's okay. :)

But let me ask this. As a camera op here in Hollywood, I consider
myself a blue collar worker. I'm a member of the International
Cinematographer's Guild. My grandfather was a tool and die maker; I
consider my camera the equivalent of his tools. Different era,
different product, different unions. Both skilled craftsmen. So. If
you hated all cars, would you honestly feel that their design were the
fault of the guys on those assembly lines?

Small world - my mother was a secretary at Local 659 at 7715 Sunset Blvd
(in 1972). Her friend, and our neighbor, worked across the street at
the Screen Actor's Guild.

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
I know plenty of TV haters. That's okay. :)

But let me ask this. As a camera op here in Hollywood, I consider
myself a blue collar worker. I'm a member of the International
Cinematographer's Guild. My grandfather was a tool and die maker; I
consider my camera the equivalent of his tools. Different era,
different product, different unions. Both skilled craftsmen. So. If
you hated all cars, would you honestly feel that their design were the
fault of the guys on those assembly lines?

I know what you mean. I worked in broadcast TV in the 70s for almost
ten years (floor manager, camera op, lighting, crew chief, audio
engineer, associate producer, etc.). I worked on a lot of shows I'm
still proud of. And a whole bunch of crap, week after week ...

"Farm, Home and Garden" might have been pretty low-brow fare but,
dammit! I framed those shots just great! ;-)

There are lots of very adeptly produced products on the market that do
not interest me. I may find some of them insipid, some annoying, some a
tad risque, some even disgusting for one reason or another. But they
are well produced nonetheless. So, I can, at the same time, shake my
head at the "marketing man run amok" (and I was one) who conceived of it
and got it marketed, while still giving a nod to the talented folks who
built it. Different ethos involved for each group. I can admire one
while disdaining the other. No conflict.

The only responsibility the camera op has is how well the shots coming
from his camera look. Period. Hey, The Jerry Springer Show is pretty
dumb (I think I was just kind there). But those camera ops follow the
action pretty well.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Blinky the Shark

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark

Small world - my mother was a secretary at Local 659 at 7715 Sunset
Blvd

7755 now. I'm trying to think when it became Local 600. I'm guessing
around 2000. It had something to do with consolidating the camera
locals from around the country.
(in 1972). Her friend, and our neighbor, worked across the street at
the Screen Actor's Guild.

The DGA's over there, now. I don't remember if SAG is, now, or not.
Probably still is. The DGA theatre is a good place to watch movies; we
(Camera Guild) get screenings over there.

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
I know what you mean. I worked in broadcast TV in the 70s for almost
ten years (floor manager, camera op, lighting, crew chief, audio
engineer, associate producer, etc.). I worked on a lot of shows I'm
still proud of. And a whole bunch of crap, week after week ...

I did all that stuff in the late 70s, too, and more -- back in the small
midwest market where I got into the biz. Those were fun days, and
having various roles made it so every day wasn't quite the same old
thing.
"Farm, Home and Garden" might have been pretty low-brow fare but,
dammit! I framed those shots just great! ;-)

:) My first paid day in TV was as a Master Control Director for a PBS
affiliate, being in at six AM or something, on some days, which was
horrible in winter. I've seen more Sesame Street than you and four of
your friends combined, because I put them on the air. :)
There are lots of very adeptly produced products on the market that do
not interest me. I may find some of them insipid, some annoying, some a
tad risque, some even disgusting for one reason or another. But they
are well produced nonetheless. So, I can, at the same time, shake my

The highest production values are often found in the commercials.
head at the "marketing man run amok" (and I was one) who conceived of it

That's a role I avoided. I just liked the studio and being part of
putting stuff together there. One of my favorite roles was directing
the late - 1 AM - news (I worked at the PBS station and a commercial
affiliate at the same time).
and got it marketed, while still giving a nod to the talented folks who
built it. Different ethos involved for each group. I can admire one
while disdaining the other. No conflict.

The only responsibility the camera op has is how well the shots coming
from his camera look. Period. Hey, The Jerry Springer Show is pretty
dumb (I think I was just kind there). But those camera ops follow the
action pretty well.

Aye.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:42:47 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
I know plenty of TV haters. That's okay. :)

But let me ask this. As a camera op here in Hollywood, I consider
myself a blue collar worker. I'm a member of the International
Cinematographer's Guild. My grandfather was a tool and die maker; I
consider my camera the equivalent of his tools. Different era,
different product, different unions. Both skilled craftsmen. So. If
you hated all cars, would you honestly feel that their design were the
fault of the guys on those assembly lines?

Of course not. I just said that to get your sheep. And I don't _really_
think _all_ TV is crap, either, but it probably has more than it needs.
'Law and Order' was a good show, for instance; I've even purchased some of
the reruns (-yeah, I said "purchased", so you can see I'm not totally
cheap.)

Fyi, I was an electrician for a while and I didn't feel any personal guilt
when Lee Trevino got zapped on the golf course that time.

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
Ed Mullen wrote:

:) My first paid day in TV was as a Master Control Director for a PBS
affiliate, being in at six AM or something, on some days, which was
horrible in winter. I've seen more Sesame Street than you and four of
your friends combined, because I put them on the air. :)

I doubt it! :) My stint was at the PBS affiliate at Penn State U.,
WPSX-TV. We called them "Duty Directors" and I did that for a brief
while. But there was also so much down time between production that we
spent a lot of time just watching the network feeds of shows we were
recording for later broadcast. so, yeah, lots of Sesame St. and
Electric Co. The most disconcerting experience was one morning about 7
AM as I sat at the production-control audio console, nursing my first
cup of coffee after a /very/ late night, I glanced up at the 20" Conrac
network monitor to view a Cesarean section being performed, close ups
and all. It did /nothing/ to help the hangover.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
I doubt it! :) My stint was at the PBS affiliate at Penn State U.,
WPSX-TV. We called them "Duty Directors" and I did that for a brief
while. But there was also so much down time between production that we
spent a lot of time just watching the network feeds of shows we were
recording for later broadcast. so, yeah, lots of Sesame St. and

Did you do sneakernet? Going down to the bus station for programs
coming to you on 2" tape? :)
Electric Co. The most disconcerting experience was one morning about 7

And the ever popular...

Come on and zoom zoom zoom-a zoom.
AM as I sat at the production-control audio console, nursing my first
cup of coffee after a /very/ late night, I glanced up at the 20" Conrac
network monitor to view a Cesarean section being performed, close ups
and all. It did /nothing/ to help the hangover.

Ugh. I'll bet not. An eye-opener, though. :)

This post was brought to you by the letters B and R, and the number 8.

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
Did you do sneakernet? Going down to the bus station for programs
coming to you on 2" tape? :)

LOL. Yes! Quad tapes! Some of my earliest memories are of editing
shows together using two (or three) quad machines "loosely" synchronized
(pre SMPTE time code) by an RCA TEP (Tape Editing Programmer). And a
video tech with arms stretched wide to try and hit the Start buttons on
both machines (playback and record) at the same time. In fact, I
remember Clarence McCracken doing that with a cigarette and an inch of
And the ever popular...

Come on and zoom zoom zoom-a zoom.

Ugh. I'll bet not. An eye-opener, though. :)

It was, although, a Bloody Mary would have been a lot more welcome!
This post was brought to you by the letters B and R, and the number 8.

ROFLMAO!!! The worst was the taxi driver in the Electric Company street
sequence that ran once every show for a year or more. First time I saw
him I went: "Holy crap! That's me!!!" Of course, when I asked my
co-workers they didn't see it, just saw the long hair, the long beard,
etc. and said: Oh, he doesn't look anything like you, Ed! Still
freaked me out. they say everyone has a twin out there somewhere.
Well, that taxi driver in the early 70s in NYC was mine!

Now, if I can just find my long-last twin brother some 30 years later
.... Ah, he's probably a retired CEO of some Fortune 500 company. :-D

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:

LOL. Yes! Quad tapes! Some of my earliest memories are of editing
shows together using two (or three) quad machines "loosely" synchronized
(pre SMPTE time code) by an RCA TEP (Tape Editing Programmer). And a
video tech with arms stretched wide to try and hit the Start buttons on
both machines (playback and record) at the same time. In fact, I

Ape arms. :)
remember Clarence McCracken doing that with a cigarette and an inch of
ash dangling from his lips. Oh, the kids these days have no idea! <g>
And, I guess, thank God!

:)
ROFLMAO!!! The worst was the taxi driver in the Electric Company street
sequence that ran once every show for a year or more. First time I saw
him I went: "Holy crap! That's me!!!" Of course, when I asked my

No, he was making a lot more money.

But you were both having fun. Admit it. :)

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
Ape arms. :)

No, he was making a lot more money.

But you were both having fun. Admit it. :)

How can I not?

Yes, I was having a great time back then. Poor. But having fun!
Sports remotes freelancing for ABC and independents. Hanging out the
door of a remote truck wearing three headsets and a telephone and
yelling at AT&T Network Ops, the two Bell NY guys lying under the truck,
being yelled at by the producer when we were 20 minutes to air time for
the Army Notre Dame game and we lost the feed to the network. And
watching Paul Hornung in the booth upstairs over the monitors slamming
down vodkas. Oh, and it was the weekend that the Watergate scandal
broke and people started resigning from the Nixon admin. And the
production company didn't guarantee our hotel reservations so we had no
place to sleep. Yep, we were having just a fabulous time that weekend!
But, now that I think about it, it was fun! :)

Now I'm retired and I'm still having fun. But I have a lot more money.
I sure hope that cab driver became a CEO and he's having this much fun.

BTW, oddly enough, I drove a cab for a living for about a year back
then. One of the strangest things I've ever done. I felt like an
unlicensed psychotherapist or a bartender, never sure which. People
just started talking and told me all sorts of things about themselves.
Geez. And this was before the phrase "Too Much Information!" became
popular.

Oh well, now we've totally bored everyone to tears. But, thanks for the
fun trip down memory lane!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
Not me, Ed. I read every word with interest.

Thank you! I do love remembering. But I am cognizant of how boring it
may be for those outside of the experience. On the other hand, I love
hearing myself talk. So, uh, geez. I should get counseling! :)

Seriously, one thing life has to offer is memories. Good or bad, they
mark the time, they demarcate the eras, and they remind us of how we got
here. Age and time are, I think, friends. Not always placid and
agreeable, but always there to swat us in the back of our heads and
remind us: "Yo! You weren't this smart all the time!" And, of course,
that I'm not all that "smart" even now.

Which is good, because there is still time to learn. I hope.

(It's probably not apropos but I happened to glance down (as I rarely
do) at my sig-tag. Pretty funny.)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net