IE8 and ASP.Net 2.0.

Mufasa

I have a couple of sites that work just ducky at the moment. Well, Microsoft
has officially released IE8 and now they don't look so great. Not horrible
but things that did line up now don't.

But here's the kicker ( or at least I think it's the kicker ) my site is
written in ASP.Net 2.0 and it doesn't work in IE8. It works in Firefox and
Safari but not IE8. Which is a Microsoft product. So Microsoft is creating
stuff that doesn't work with their own products.

So now that I've vented, what do I need to do to make my web site work with
IE8?

TIA - Jeff.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> my site is written in ASP.Net 2.0 and it doesn't work in IE8

Exactly, what doesn't work ?
We need more details to be able to help you.

Also, does it work if you browse with IE 7 ?
If it does, you can set your website to force IE8-->IE7 compatibility.

For IIS 7, add this header : X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7

For IIS 6, add this web.config entry :

<customHeaders>
<clear />
<add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=EmulateIE7" />
</customHeaders>

At this KB, there's full instructions for both IIS 6 and IIS 7 :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968499#Method4

If your problem is with the way ASP.NET menus display under IIS 7,
or with the way some ASP.NET controls display under IIS 7, read this :

http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2009/03/23/asp-menu-fix-for-ie8-problem-available.aspx

....and get the fix here :
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB962351/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2294

This fix can only be applied to IIS 7.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=========================

Pete Hurst

Mufasa said:
But here's the kicker ( or at least I think it's the kicker ) my site is
written in ASP.Net 2.0 and it doesn't work in IE8. It works in Firefox and
Safari but not IE8. Which is a Microsoft product. So Microsoft is creating
stuff that doesn't work with their own products.

Yeah... You do realise that IE8 is just rendering HTML and CSS, which are
independent standards which have nothing to do with ASP.NET or Microsoft?
ASP.NET will emit the HTML you ask it to, I don't think we can hold
Microsoft responsible for what you create with it! IE8 is generally far more
standards compliant than previous versions. So unless your site employed
IE-specific hacks, it should render exactly the same in IE8 as in Firefox or
Safari.
So now that I've vented, what do I need to do to make my web site work
with IE8?

Quick and dirty solution; add the following tag into your <head> element, it
will place IE8 into a compatibility mode:

But this is perhaps a discussion for an IE forum, not ASP.NET!

Pete

Mufasa

I don't do anything that is IE specific. It works fine in IE 7. Things like
center the page didn't work.