IIS5 to 6 migration trouble with ASP include directives

John Chertudi

We are poised to migrate about 600 ASP sites from a single
IIS5 server to a new pair of IIS6 servers. However, it
appears that all files with includes like:
<!-- #include virtual="../../includes/file.asp" -->
will not work on IIS 6, it returns ASP 0126, include file
not found.

We have enabled parent paths, but I can't find any
documentation that suggests that IIS 6 handles include
directives differently than IIS 5.

Has this in fact changed in IIS 6? We are trying to avoid
a huge and messy "search and replace embedded text"
exercise. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

TIA

John Chertudi

John Chertudi

Thanks for your reply. We COULD do this, but we don't want
to update thousands of files if we don't have to. This
same setup works great under IIS5 and has for years. I am
hoping to be able to avoid rebuilding our includes, and
would rather do a registry hack or something.

Does any one KNOW if IIS6 indeed handles include paths
differently? If so, I'd like to know how to change it
back. We want to take advanatge of all the other IIS6
benefits.

TIA

John Chertudi

Jeff Cochran

We are poised to migrate about 600 ASP sites from a single
IIS5 server to a new pair of IIS6 servers. However, it
appears that all files with includes like:
<!-- #include virtual="../../includes/file.asp" -->
will not work on IIS 6, it returns ASP 0126, include file
not found.

We have enabled parent paths, but I can't find any
documentation that suggests that IIS 6 handles include
directives differently than IIS 5.

Has this in fact changed in IIS 6? We are trying to avoid
a huge and messy "search and replace embedded text"
exercise. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Includes work the same. Virtual includes work from the parent down,
so I'm not sure where you think the file is supposed to be but I
suspect using this would do it for you:

<!-- #include virtual="/includes/file.asp" -->

Includes folder off the root of the web.

If you mean to traverse above the web root, you can't do that in IIS6.

Jeff