I'm a beginner of c++,can anyone recommend some books?

Solo.Wolve

I've just finished the K&R c, And begin to study c++ myself,so can
anyone give me some advice?such as some books to read,and something to
notice?

Thank you very much.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

I've just finished the K&R c, And begin to study c++ myself,so can
anyone give me some advice?such as some books to read,and something to
notice?

Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moe is a good introduction to C++ which
will get you into the C++ way of thinking quickly. The book Thinking in
C++ by Eckel is available for free on his site.

Something to notice: C++ is not C, while they got a common ancestry they
are two very different programming languages and the C way of doing
things is often not a good way of doing things in C++. In other words,
learning C++ with a C background is not so much about learning new a
syntax but about learning a new way of thinking.

Chris Fairles

I've just finished the K&R c, And begin to study c++ myself,so can
anyone give me some advice?such as some books to read,and something to
notice?

Thank you very much.

If your familiar with C, The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne
Stroustrup is a good reference. My top 5 is as follows:

1) The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup
Good reference for the core language and even most of the standard
library. Lots of helpful tips as well. Slightly disorganized. I don't
recommend reading it cover-to-cover, just use the index.

2) The C++ Standard Library : A Tutorial and Reference by Nicolai M.
Josuttis
Probably the best reference for the standard library. Again, not the
best to read cover-to-cover.

3) C++ Templates : The Complete Guide by Jousuttis and Vandevoorde
The one-stop-shop for everything templates. Especially recommended
for those who want to gain deeper knowledge of generic programmer
(also recommended for those who are trying to decipher boost::mpl ><)

4) Modern C++ Design : Generic Programming and Design Pattern Applied
(Alesandrescu)
Great book. I think of it as a "bag of tricks" except that all the
tricks are already implemented in boost (and if boost isn't your cup
of tea, Loki is freely available as well which is based off the code
in this book). Recommended if you want to step out of novice-land and
stick your foot in the door leading to the bizarre world of expert-
land.

Last, but not least...

5) ISO/IEC 14882:2003 Programming Language C++
Big. Verbose. The words look like English, but I have no idea what
language they actually are (read: extremely technical and precise). If
this can't answer a core-language question, either a) you've given up
trying to understand the definitions (which for me is quite often the
case) or b) your compiler has non-standard extensions or does not
fully comply with the standard.

Chris

red floyd

1) The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup
2) The C++ Standard Library : A Tutorial and Reference by Nicolai M.
Josuttis
3) C++ Templates : The Complete Guide by Jousuttis and Vandevoorde
4) Modern C++ Design : Generic Programming and Design Pattern Applied
(Alesandrescu)
5) ISO/IEC 14882:2003 Programming Language C++

With the exception of Josuttis(2), I wouldn't recommend *ANY* of those
as instruction for a self-professed beginner.

For a beginner, I'd recommend either Accelerated C++ (Koenig and Moo),
or C++ Primer 4ed (Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo).

Etinin

I've just finished the K&R c, And begin to study c++ myself,so can
anyone give me some advice?such as some books to read,and something to
notice?

Thank you very much.

If you're *really* willing to put some effort in learning C++, I
recommend The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup (which is,
again, the creator of the language). It's nothing like The C
Programming language, it covers almost all subjects of C++ programming
and might be slightly complicated to understand to the uninitiated.
Another excellent suggestion is the Think in C++ books which can be
downloaded for free from www.mindview.net (starting, of course, with
volume 1).

Dave Townsend

Solo.Wolve said:
I've just finished the K&R c, And begin to study c++ myself,so can
anyone give me some advice?such as some books to read,and something to
notice?

Thank you very much.

I really like Scott Meyer's books "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++" .
You'll need to understand a bit of C++ to make sense of the books,
but they are packed with useful tips and ideas. In the same series, Herb
Sutter's books "Exceptional C++" and "More Exceptional C++" are good too,
but you probably need to master a bit more C++ to get into them. Punch in
the code from these books and analyze what going on, that's my advice.
I also like "C++ Gotchas" by Dewhurst, this also is a bit advanced, but if
you go through the examples you should "get it".

The benefit of using these advanced books early is you learn "the right
way", rather than finding that out many years from now.

Stroustrups book is excellent, but not very good to learn C++ from. I
think Stan Lipman's book "C++ Primer" might be a bit better organized for a
beginner.

C++ is hard, there's a lot to take in, don't get frustrated. You're lucky in
that the literature is a lot better than 10-15 years ago, everybody was
finding their way then.

dave

James Kanze

With the exception of Josuttis(2), I wouldn't recommend *ANY* of those
as instruction for a self-professed beginner.
For a beginner, I'd recommend either Accelerated C++ (Koenig and Moo),
or C++ Primer 4ed (Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo).

Sort of agreed. Different people react differently to different
styles, and many might find Stroustrup very readable as well,
especially if they are already familiar with the style of his
mentors (Kernighan and Richie). The Josuttis and Vandevoorde is
also very readable, but it definitly supposes that you already
know basic C++; I would recommend NOT trying to write your own
templates before having read it, however.

And very soon after the first introductory text, Scott Meyer's
books are a definite must.