Installer for Java Communication-API?

Thomas Pototschnig

Hi NG,

I have written a small terminal program which uses the java communication
API. Unfortunately the com API isn't part of the standard-java-installation
and has to be installed seperately. More unfortunately is that a lot of
people who will use this program will have troubles installing the API. The
solution would be to write a program which copies the files to the right
location.

Does anyone know whether there is a program which does this?

Thx in advance

Thomas Pototschnig

Ross Bamford

Hi NG,

I have written a small terminal program which uses the java communication
API. Unfortunately the com API isn't part of the standard-java-installation
and has to be installed seperately. More unfortunately is that a lot of
people who will use this program will have troubles installing the API. The
solution would be to write a program which copies the files to the right
location.

Assuming you do mean the Sun API, read this:

http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/COMM2.0.3_license.txt

Esp the supplemental terms near the bottom, relating to redistribution,
and then consider packaging the Jar with your program.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross Bamford

That just says that you have to distribute the whole package, not that
you can't make an installer for it.

I assume OP means instead of the user having to download the API and
install it separately, he wanted it installed transparently with his
program, so why not just package it, rather than writing a separate
installer?

I have no experience with Java Comm API specifically but can't imagine
it has any special setup requirements?

Knute Johnson

Ross said:
I assume OP means instead of the user having to download the API and
install it separately, he wanted it installed transparently with his
program, so why not just package it, rather than writing a separate
installer?

I have no experience with Java Comm API specifically but can't imagine
it has any special setup requirements?

It does. You have to install a Winblows dll and a properties file in
addition to the jar library.