Is Microsoft Visual studio 2002 compatible with .NET 2.0?

Prajakta

We have an application build on Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 .Net 1.0 ie on
32 bit.
Can we port the same application for .NET 2.0.
Does .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2002 ie for 32 bit
application as .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2005.
And if yes How .NET 1.0 is to be upgraded to 2.0 on Microsoft visual studio
2002.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Prajakta,

VS 2002 works only with the 1.0 version of .NET
if u need to port your app u need to use the specific version of VS

---
WBR,

P> We have an application build on Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 .Net 1.0
P> ie on
P> 32 bit.
P> Can we port the same application for .NET 2.0.
P> Does .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2002 ie for 32
P> bit
P> application as .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2005.
P> And if yes How .NET 1.0 is to be upgraded to 2.0 on Microsoft visual
P> studio
P> 2002

Mark Rae [MVP]

We have an application built in Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 .Net 1.0
OK.

Can we port the same application to .NET 2.0?
Yes.

Is .NET 2.0 supported in Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2002
application as .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2005?
No.

And if yes How .NET 1.0 is to be upgraded to 2.0 on Microsoft visual
studio
2002?

VS.NET 2002 can only target v1.0 of the .NET Framework.

You have two options:

1) Stay with VS.NET 2002, although mainstream support ended earlier this
year:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Visual+Studio+.NET+2002&Filter=FilterNO

2) Upgrade to VS.NET 2005 and open your project in it - the Conversion
Wizard will kick in and (more or less) convert your project to .NET 2.0. You
could also wait for VS.NET 2008 to be officially released in February (or
download it now if you're an MSDN / TechNet subscriber).

Prajakta

Thanks alot for the reply..it was reply helpful for me.

One more question does Visual Studio 2005 targets .NET 1.0

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Most likely, you can upgrade the application by opening it in Visual Studio
2005. It is also possible that you can just compile as 2.0, but you will be
compiling blind and have to rely on compiler errors (if any) to guide you to
fixingthe code. The most likely area for errors from 1.x to 2 is XML.

As for VS .NET 2002, you cannot make it compile 2.0 (this may not be
completely true, as you could hack at the registry, etc., but it is
certainly NOT worth it).

I would suggest upgrading to VS 2005 or 2008 (only MSDN right now) or
downloading the Express SKUs until you can budget the full product.

dev

We have an application build on Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 .Net 1.0 ie on
32 bit.
Can we port the same application for .NET 2.0.
Does .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2002 ie for 32 bit
application as .NET 2.0 is supported on Microsoft Visual studio 2005.
And if yes How .NET 1.0 is to be upgraded to 2.0 on Microsoft visual studio
2002.

Hi,

According to me if you open .NET 1.0 application in VS2005. It will
get converted to 2.0 version
but it is not backward compatable.

Check it out. Please let me know

Thanks
NET

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Prajakta,

No.

VS 2005 targets only .NET 2.0

Starting from VS 2008 u can change the .NET version but only for .NET 2.0,
3.0 and 3.5

---
WBR,

P> Thanks alot for the reply..it was reply helpful for me.
P>
P> One more question does Visual Studio 2005 targets .NET 1.0
P>
P> "Prajakta" wrote:

Prajakta

One more question -
Now I am using visual studio 2005 .NET 2.0 for building application for 64
bit.
Now in case if I want to support the same application for .NET 3.0 then will
it be compatible or any Service pack will be available for .NET 3.0.

Please help..

Thanks