Is sorting and paging going to change in ASP.NET 2.0?

needin4mation

Is the framework going to change so that on sorting it will have some
way of letting you sort two ways, asc or desc?

Is the framework's paging going to change so that it does not bring
back the entire dataset each time?

I only ask because I am not going to custom build everything if is is
about to be changed.

Thank you.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you're talking about DataGrids, then yes.
The new GridView control has paging & sorting built-in, whereas the old
DataGrid control required some custom code to be written.

needin4mation

Yeah, but I mean will the sorting and paging be better. Will it have
the two-way sorting and not bring back the entire dataset like now. I
did mean DataGrid. Thanks.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, it's better than it was.

It can use AJAX automatically to bring back a specific page of data, so in
that way it has the potential to be more efficient.
If you want the entire dataset to go to the client and have all paging &
sorting done there (which may be more efficient in some scenarios) then
you'll still have to write that code yourself.