Is there a free software to show Java classes' relationship?

Shawn

Hi,

I am reading a Java program written by my officemate. There are about 30
to 40 classes. Some are gui, some are models. I feel very hard to
comprehend which class is calling which class.

Should I ask the author to give me a UML map? I don't think he has used
a UML map, actually.

I am wondering if there is some kind of software to analysis the program
and draw some kind of flow-chart for me?

I have spent a lot of time trying to understand how the program flows by
using pencil and paper. I am wondering if there is a better way.

Thank you very much.

Oliver Wong

Shawn said:
Hi,

I am reading a Java program written by my officemate. There are about 30
to 40 classes. Some are gui, some are models. I feel very hard to
comprehend which class is calling which class.

Should I ask the author to give me a UML map? I don't think he has used a
UML map, actually.

I am wondering if there is some kind of software to analysis the program
and draw some kind of flow-chart for me?

I have spent a lot of time trying to understand how the program flows by
using pencil and paper. I am wondering if there is a better way.

Eclipse does this to a limited degree, and it's always been "good
enough" for me. ArgoUML is supposedly better, but I've never tried it.
http://argouml.tigris.org/

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Ian Wilson said:
Is this using a plugin?

No, you can right click on any method and choose "Show call graph" to
see all the methods (and implicitly, its owning classes) that "this" method
calls, or inversely, all the methods which calls "this" method.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Oliver Wong said:
No, you can right click on any method and choose "Show call graph" to

Sorry, the exact menu item label is "Open Call Hierarchy".

- Oliver

Shawn

Oliver said:
Eclipse does this to a limited degree, and it's always been "good
enough" for me. ArgoUML is supposedly better, but I've never tried it.
http://argouml.tigris.org/

- Oliver
I am using Eclipse too. I am totally unaware of such a feature. Could
you give me more tips on how to use it? I don't even know the correct
keyword to search in Google.

Thank you very much.

Titus Cincinnatus

Grab JGrasp at www.jgrasp.org

It's free and to quote the site:
"jGRASP produces Control Structure Diagrams (CSDs) for Java, C, C++,
Objective-C, Ada, and VHDL; CPG diagrams for Java and Ada; UML
diagrams for Java; and has an integrated debugger and workbench for
Java. "

I use it extensively.

-Titus